If you are not looking forward to winter because you know that your electricity bill will increase and you may still feel cold in your apartment or house, then this article is for you to read. Window sealing will help you to keep warm temperature and not let cold wind to squeeze through gaps. You don't necessarily have to buy and replace old windows with new ones. There are some simple tips that will help you to seal windows and enjoy a warm and cozy atmosphere in late autumn and winter.
What Do I Need to Use For Sealing My Windows?
However, before you seal your window, you need to know what equipment you need. There are various types of weatherstrip that you can buy in shops or online. Here are some of the common types of stripping:
- Foam weather stripping is one of the best and easy in use. It can be applied to any type of windows and it's security protects from air leaks. However, foam weather stripping has one downside: it's not that durable and may require frequent replacement.
- V-strip is more secure and is perfect if you need to seal gaps between glass and frame.
- Tubular rubber is another kind of weather stripping that guarantees waterproofing qualities.
A professional company that deals with window repair Chicago can help you to choose the best type of weatherstrip according to the type of your windows, budget, and expectations. Further, in this article, you will find tips on DIY as well as learn how an experienced windows and door repair company can help you to keep your house warm and cozy.
Prepare Your Windows For Sealing
In this part of the article, we will share experts' tips on the best way to seal a window in your apartment or house. Follow the instructions and block those annoying air leaks to get ready for cold and windy winter:
Remove the existing adhesive. Buy a mineral spirit, this will help you to dissolve the old adhesive. Wear gloves to protect your hands. Dip a cloth in a mineral spirit and apply it on the adhesive. It should come off within a few minutes. You may also need a pry bar to get rid of adhesive that got stuck to the windows.
Guide to Window Frame Sealing
Sealing window glass with caulk is an easy and affordable option that doesn't require special skills. You can buy caulk in any tool shop at an affordable price. Ask for a good-quality sealant that won't shrink or crack during extreme weather conditions and temperature changes. We would also recommend using eco-caulking solution to avoid breathing chemicals. Follow these steps to seal window frame yourself:
- If you are using a caulking solution and a gun, then you should cut the tip of the solution at 45 degrees. This will help you to apply sealant evenly. Load the caulking solution canister into the gun.
- Once detected air leaks, gently compress the trigger of the caulking gun and release the sealant. Try to apply an even amount of caulk on the air leak. Work from up to down until the whole gap is covered.
- To seal exterior windows, apply sealant where the window meets the exterior siding. If your exterior windows have wooden frames, it's advised to use a high-grade polyurethane caulk to fill all the gaps. Such a sealant has excellent waterproofing qualities, therefore, it would security protect your house from moist getting in gaps and causing damp.
- Get rid of excessive sealant by smoothing it out with your finger. The sealant should look even. Remove left caulk from the glass and frames using wet wipes or cloth.
- Leave the solution to dry for at least 24 hours.
Now you can enjoy your sealed window and save on buying storm windows. Follow these tips and get your windows prepared for a harsh winter.
Professional Sealing and Window Repair
If you get frustrated about your high electricity bill, we can help you reduce it. ARAX Windows has a big experience in dealing with all types of windows, glass, and frames. Our qualified technicians are willing to seal your windows on the short notice. You can also get our local experts to perform window restoration service in case you can't seal your windows yourself. Whether you have wood, vinyl, or sliding glass windows, we know how to treat them. Your windows should be one of the main attractions of your house, so let us help you to keep them in the best condition possible. You are going to be satisfied with our prices, performance, and deliverables.