What a top athlete happens when the career ends?
captain Hans Manni - , the athletic director, Mika Kojonkoskella , the NHL-bosses Jarmo Kekäläisellä , the future Mika Aalto - and investment company rotating Samppa Lajusella is sure to all have their own stories.
Equally important report on the nation's memory have been drawing late the hero Mika Mill and Matti Nykänen .
the Question there is no single right or wrong answer. Only it must be clear, that's when everything changes.
– Valuation, adoration and the podium lifting are conspicuous by their absence. Not satan, that it ate men. You're not the same person as before. Did you become star of the nobodyksi together in a jiffy. The world changed in one fell swoop, but the mind was alive in a previous life, ex-alpine star Kalle Palander recalls in his book Kalle – direct speech."Hard place"Matti Nykänen's career ended prematurely because of back ailments in 1991. AOP
Too often, the athlete is left alone, without a year, with which community and support network, to argue to the rest of his first steps with.
– When the sports career ends, the athlete is no longer nothing – nothing at all. That's how I feel, Matti Nykänen told me years ago the Norwegian Dagbladetille.
Nykänen's career ended in 1991, when lentomäen in the broken back does not become longer intact. His first steps in the hill hero to take into the void, with a successful sports career päättyessään left.
– the Hardest part is to stop, of course, Matti Nykänen know in the same year described in the document the Eagle.
I'm aware that it's going to be a tough place. Becomes too large aperture for the job, when you get off this system.
It opening Nykänen try to fill the rest of his life."All bad"
my Own opinion is that Bob's route to civilian life and everyday life could have been a little easier, consider the Toni Nieminen .
Nieminen rise the star for the only 16-year-old by winning two olympic gold in albertville in 1992, virtually instantly Nykänen's career after the termination.
Nieminen career at the top ended 12 years later, at the age of 28, but in a completely different way than Nykänen. Decision a career out of was located in lahti, very own, and besides she had found her life more content, more specifically, horse racing.
– matti's happened to it all the worst thing the athlete can happen: career ending injury. The story was left unfinished. He had to stop the pain, so it was a terrible vacuum. He was left all alone, Nieminen said.Penny penniltä43-year-old Toni Nieminen still misses the hill. Pasi Liesimaa/IL
Nykänen painful sports career early at the end of with through the 1990s, perhaps even longer. In 1995, the eagle agonized life content anonymity with a moving openly in the Yle interview.
– Yes, I'm living this day those in bars more than at home. I'll admit it straight, Nykänen said.
Economic distress, flabbiness, and others offer night form a dangerous mix.
– Fill it to admit that I live pretty penny penn and marks marks. And of course I have friends, if I want to go to go to the thousand and the million, Nykänen described.
– When you think about it the next morning, so it's not, as it should be. Again, should come up with something, again have to go back there. It's not, it's not my life, but this, this drive will.
People sensitive Nykänen lost perhaps the most important support network already in 1988, when the coach legend Eino Kirjonen die.
When mr eikka died, I thought that now going to shit all. Mr eikka was there by my side always. That's what I believe in and respect. I don't anyone else. It went away, so all slip away. I'm not holding back anything. And not hold it to this day.korvikkeitakin to palander's career ended with injuries. Go for the alpine stars get content to live the nightlife. JARNO RIGHT/IL
Also, Kalle Palander try to fill a career gap left by alcohol and lively nightlife. He quit in 2012, the injury spiral.
I Pulled the beer to a steady pace, Palander told the evening newspaper four years later.
Niemisellä was horse racing, for some time. Then the tv commentator of the work.
– It was absolutely wicked important. I have many times wondered, and especially this week, what would have happened if it would have ended like a wall. It the vacuum would have been just awful, Nieminen thinking.
Nykänen danced, sang and drank.
– it's Not a song of any work that way. Yes it is drinking and loss of voice, constantly, Nykänen described Yle in 1995.
the Problem is common through the Finnish sporting spectrum.
Life is not left to roll aktiiviura after the end of the – but is going the wrong direction. For example, alcohol problems, drug problems, personal relationship problems, depression, Finnish ice hockey players association, player association executive director Jarmo Saarela has told the evening newspaper.system?Matti Nykänen made a long career on the stage. Markku Ruottinen
I've been thinking about, what our system is. Matti is not the only one, as we have other successful athletes, which is not properly able to take coaching or species to the community, Nieminen reflect.
– shall We have some of the problems been avoided if Bob had been one of the route remain attached to the species, to continue its species in front of things?
Nieminen to remember that the union or other parties get a right support or guidance the career of life after him either. 43-year-old olympic champion even laugh sarcastically things when asked.
No. It support came too close. I had the good fortune and luck, that it became something to ski jumping. It was just pure luck that I got it eased.
the System they have Nieminen according to the corrected clearly but not enough.
– Still too much the athlete's responsibility to find out those things.Physical longing
What is the compromise, mediocrity and gray-filled normal life previously perceived absolutism, the adrenaline rush and the knife-edge of life after?
stop those athletes blood pull back to the hill, the field, rink. Sometimes the longing is pure physical.
I have an internal aggression, and I'm trying to calm myself. Try to turn the idea elsewhere. Between the muscles cramp, Nykänen described in 1997.
About once a week comes. Unfortunately, still. It comes when I start to ponder and think about things.
Palander has told me the same knowledge.
I Miss the vibration and the fear of the cluttered feeling, which is a start. That vibe doesn't get any norm job.
Nieminen is designed to jump the hill again this spring. The fire is still hard.
– you need to go, when he could.
Sources: IL-archive, Yle Living archive, Kalle – direct speech, the Eagle document