In Sweden, there are three companies that emit massive amounts of carbon dioxide became part of SSAB, cementtillverkaren Cementa and the oil company Preem refining oil in Lysekil, according to environmental protection agency calculations. Together, they account for almost as much emissions as all the cars in Sweden.
So here's the reasoning they on their responsibility for emissions and how they want to manage them.
the SSAB, which is the single largest koldioxidutsläpparen, considers himself to be an exceptionally eco-friendly steel company.
– Would the steel we make is produced elsewhere would emissions become much greater. If it would be done in China it would for example be 2.2 million tonnes more, " says Thomas in new york, director of sustainability at SSAB.
to completely get away from the emissions, " he says. In the process of iron ore becomes steel emission, because there is oxygen in the iron that is removed with the coal. It results in carbon dioxide.
– the Process has been the same in 800 years, " he says.
but now keeps SSAB together with LKAB and Vattenfall to develop a method in which the oxygen atoms be blocked out from the iron with hydrogen instead. This means zero carbon emissions, but first 2035 the approach will be ready for production. Until then, try to SSAB switch to more low carbon processes, " he says.
– In Oxelösund, we build on the plant so that it will produce steel by the help of recycled metal by 2025.
really need all the steel produced.
– Well, 75 per cent of all the steel made in the history of the world is still in use. See, for example, at the Eiffel tower. The recovery rate of steel is high, but it is enough only 25 percent of the stålbehovet. The population is increasing, as well as the standard of living, and when more are needed. Therefore, steel is manufactured.
He hope that the politicians come to the really tough emissions during the climate conference in Katowice.
– The sharper the requirements, the better will be our competitiveness.
– the Economy, the conscience and the environment pulling in the same direction here, " says Thomas new york.
Cementa, which makes cement, I also think that they have a high level of ambition for the environment and emissions. The company also has new technology in sight that will do that they are spared from the carbon dioxide.
– We are phasing out all fossil fuel. We also see technological leap, which is to capture and store carbon dioxide, " says Karin Comstedt, director of sustainability at Cementa.
Read also: the Emission of carbon dioxide is increasing in Sweden
" she says. The cement is needed, there is a great demand for the material, for example, housing and infrastructure developments.
– It creates prosperity, and we are anxious to get to. But we must resursoptimera construction.
" It is a challenge for the industry.
the climate summit will affect the Cementa, but Karin Comstedt hold in front of everything until the report of the UN intergovernmental panel on climate change IPCC released in the fall. It points to the absolute necessity to capture and store carbon dioxide in order to clear the case.
– We have good conditions for it here in the Nordic region, " says Karin Comstedt.
Preemraff in Lysekil is third on the utsläppslistan. Preem is also investing in to get away as much emissions as possible, and want as well as the Cementa capture carbon dioxide to store it.
Preem considering the construction of the plant in Lysekil to miljöeffektivisera refining of oil. The state of the environment is already clear, and the final decision shall be taken for at least a year.
If the plans are put into effect will Preemraff to sail one in koldioxidligan in Sweden.
– Precisely why we want to be leading on including CCS technologies and carbon dioxide capture that can reduce our emissions by 30-40%. Utsläppsfrågan is a global challenge. We know that we already emit 17 percent less carbon dioxide compared to the average refinery in Western europe, " says Malin Hallin, director of Sustainable development at Preem.
that Preem makes the environmentally friendly fuel products than to other, worse facilities abroad, produces them, she thinks.
– We are willing to assume our global responsibilities. As society looks today required liquid fuel. But we have to work on to produce more renewable fuels in parallel.
Preem has therefore plans on a new facility in Gothenburg that will be making biodiesel and jet fuel of various renewable raw materials, " she says.
– It will be able to produce one million cubic metres of biofuels until 2023, 25 per cent of Sweden's needs. Our goal is at least three million cubic metres by 2030, " says Malin Hallin.Link to the graphics