After a two-year break due to the pandemic, the summer of 2022 was the first holiday season for many people in which they could travel again without restrictions. In addition to the choice of travel destination, the choice of holiday accommodation often decides whether the holiday was a success or a flop. There are many possibilities: Airbnb, holiday home, hostel, campsite or hotel?
Those who decide on a comfortable hotel like to use online reviews. With more than a billion ratings from around eight million hotels, restaurants and travel destinations, TripAdvisor is one of the largest rating portals in the tourism sector. Each year, the company also honors the Travellers' Choice Best of the Best Awards. This includes the activities, beaches, travel destinations, restaurants and hotels that have received the most and best ratings from TripAdvisor users over the past twelve months.
But before we tell you which hotels in the world performed best, a quick question for you:
Incidentally, most of the candidates in this leaderboard belong to the four or five-star category. Let's start from the back...
25. Oberoi Beach Resort Sahl Hasheesh (Hurghada, Egypt)
23. Saraye Ameriha Boutique Hotel (Kashan, Iran)
22. Round Hill Hotel and Villas (Montego Bay, Jamaika)
21. Hazelton Hotel (Toronto, Canada)
20. Jaya House River Park (Krong Siem Reap, Cambodia)
19. Royal Purnama (Sukawati auf Bali, Indonesia)
18. La Maison Arabe (Marrakech, Morocco)
17. Quinta Jardins do Lago (Funchal auf Madeira, Portugal)
16. Sukhumvit Park, Bangkok - Marriott Executive Apartments (Bangok, Thailand)
15. La Maison Favart (Paris, Frankreich)
14. LIKE Cocoa Island (Malediven)
13. Lotte Hotel Hanoi (Hanoi, Vietnam)
12. Pimalai Resort and Spa (Amphoe Ko Lanta, Krabi, Thailand)
11. Ikos Dassia (Dassia on Corfu, Greece)
10. BLESS Hotel Madrid (Madrid, Spain)
09. Padma Resort Ubud (Payangan auf Bali, Indonesia)
08. Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort (Hopkins, Belize)
07. Six Senses Laamu (Olhuveli, Maldives)
06. Kayakapi Premium Caves (Cappadocia, Urgup, Turkey)
The Omnia sits right on top of a cliff, giving it arguably one of the most spectacular hotel views in the world. The location in Zermatt in the immediate vicinity of the Swiss Matterhorn invites you to forget everything else for a while.
If you've always wanted to feel like you're in "One Thousand and One Nights", you can definitely feel it at the Romance Hotel Istanbul. Each room is decorated in Arabic style. In the immediate vicinity of the hotel there are also two of Istanbul's top tourist attractions, the Süleymaniye Mosque and Istiklal Street.
This Kos island resort makes all tourists' all-inclusive dreams come true -- and perhaps earned bronze thanks to the all-inclusive addition and beautiful location in Kefalos, Kos. Another plus point is probably the hotel's own sandy beach, which several TripAdvisor users mention in their reviews.
"Whether for a honeymoon or a family holiday: this hotel is easy to fall in love with," writes a user on TripAdvisor about the Hotel Colline de France - and indeed, the Brazilian hotel looks like a romantic one in every single photo picture book emerged. However, there is nothing reminiscent of the architecture and furnishings of Brazil or South America, but rather of continental Europe.
Would you like a trip to paradise? At least that's the impression you could get if you look at the Instagram account of the facility in the middle of Costa Rica's Manuel Antonio National Park. A real travel porn! This is where nature and pure luxury meet. The mix seems to go down pretty well with tourists around the world.
Even if there are some candidates from Europe among the top hotel houses in the world: Unfortunately, none from Germany made it among the best of the best in 2022. However, the travel portal TripAdvisor also records national rankings in the Travellers' Choice Awards - and here in Germany the four-star superior wellness hotel Edelweiss in Berchtesgaden, Bavaria, comes off best.
The Romantikhotel Achterdiek in Lower Saxony follows in second place. The Oberjoch - Familux Resort in the Allgäu took bronze. You won't find German hotel legends like the Adlon in Berlin, the Taschenbergpalais in Dresden or the Brenners Parkhotel in Baden-Baden in the list. But nobody asks about the best luxury hotels at the Travellers' Choice Awards.
So that the next time you're on the road, you might be able to shine with one or the other unnecessary knowledge on your trip: