Post a Comment Print Share on Facebook
Featured economía Política Directivos Cataluña Vivienda

Nicholas crawls from Texas to Louisiana, dropping rain

Nicholas became a tropical depression on Wednesday as it moved from Texas to southern Louisiana. It unleashed heavy rains across the landscape where Hurricane Ida had destroyed thousands of roofs, now covered in flimsy asphalts.

- 455 reads.

Nicholas crawls from Texas to Louisiana, dropping rain

Forecasters predicted that Nicholas would be a chaotic mess in central Louisiana for several days. There was plenty of water to dump east from its center, flooding the Gulf Coast and the Panhandle. Governor John Bel Edwards warned that the greatest flooding threat was facing Southeast Louisiana. John Bel Edwards advised people to be careful, even though Nicholas wasn't the hurricane that made landfall on Texas Tuesday.

Edwards stated, "This is a serious storm, especially in those areas that were so heavily affected by Hurricane Ida."

Forecasters advised people on the central Gulf Coast that as much as 20 inches (50 cm) of rain could be possible by Friday. This is a region still recovering after Category 4 hurricanes, Ida and Laura.

Galveston, Texas saw nearly 14 inches (35 cmimeters), of rain from Nicholas, the 14th named hurricane of the 2021 Atlantic hurricane seasons. Houston, however, received more than 6 inches (15 cmimeters). Late Tuesday, the New Orleans office for the National Weather Service stated that up to 10 inches (25 cmimeters of rain) could fall in Louisiana. Some areas saw particularly intense rainfall of 2 to 3 inch (5 to 8 centimeters per hour).

Ida broke the tin roof of Terry Dardar and Patti Dardar's Louisiana home and left them without power for over two weeks. Nicholas did more damage than Nicholas by soaking the upstairs. It also supplied them with water which Terren, their son, and their grandchildren collected in jugs. They then poured it into a large plastic container using a strainer. The water was then brought inside by a pump that was powered by a generator.

Patti, his mom, stated that the family had no other place to go after Ida so they did their best with Nicholas.

She said, "We haven't got any other place." "This is our home."

Gov. Edwards pointed out that 95,000 customers still had no power for more than two weeks after Ida struck. Edwards said that some people who had lost power before Ida struck could lose it again due to the new storm. Edwards said that homes already severely damaged by Ida had not been repaired enough to withstand heavy rain.

The state's remaining power supply areas were restored to power by energy companies Wednesday. They said they were closely monitoring Nicholas but that they didn't anticipate it affecting their restoration times.

Entergy Louisiana spokesperson said that Nicholas has not caused delays in the restoration of power. Jerry Nappi stated that crews can't operate if lightning is within 10 km (16 miles) and they can't use bucket trucks at speeds greater than 30 mph (50 km/h). They would resume work if conditions improve.

Joe Ticheli is the manager and CEO at South Louisiana Electric Cooperative Association. He said that rain doesn't stop linemen who wear grit and are dressed in slicker suits.

He said, "These guys are tough and they enjoy all of it." The coop serves approximately 21,000 customers in five parishes, including parts of the difficult-hit Terrebonne or Lafourche parishes. Ticheli stated that the coop had returned power to approximately 75% of its customers, with the remaining 25% mainly in the hardest-hit areas of the southern Terrebonne parish.

Mayor Nic Hunter of Lake Charles in southwest Louisiana stated that Nicholas had prepositioned city assets. City crews also inspected the drainage system for debris that could cause flooding or clogs.

Lake Charles was ravaged. The city of almost 80,000 people was severely damaged by Hurricane Laura. The same area was hit by Hurricane Delta several weeks later. The city was flooded by freezing temperatures in January, followed by a May rainstorm that flooded homes and businesses.

According to the mayor, he is naturally concerned about how his people are doing.

"People are understandably depressed and emotional after what they have experienced over the past 16 months in Lake Charles." People get scared whenever there is even the slightest hint of a weather emergency approaching," he stated.

Your Name
Post a Comment
Characters Left:
Your comment has been forwarded to the administrator for approval.×
Warning! Will constitute a criminal offense, illegal, threatening, offensive, insulting and swearing, derogatory, defamatory, vulgar, pornographic, indecent, personality rights, damaging or similar nature in the nature of all kinds of financial content, legal, criminal and administrative responsibility for the content of the sender member / members are belong.