At a fair in Münster, a man was stabbed after an argument and died. A previously unknown perpetrator got into a fight with the 31-year-old on a carousel on Saturday evening, according to the police and prosecutors. The perpetrator is said to have stabbed his opponent with a knife. Despite immediately initiated resuscitation measures, the 31-year-old died on the spot from his injuries.
A homicide commission has started the investigation, said a spokesman for the public prosecutor's office on Sunday. The search for the alleged perpetrator continues. A call for witnesses was started, every tip is important.
The city of Münster canceled the Send folk festival prematurely. The city announced that the largest fair in the Münsterland, which has up to a million visitors a year, will remain closed on Sunday. According to the announcement, Mayor Markus Lewe said: "After the fatal knife attack late on Saturday evening, the continuation of the broadcast is out of respect for the victim." The act was a shock to Münster. According to the city, the 31-year-old is a family man.
The public prosecutor's office did not comment on this. No personal information is given. According to previous knowledge, the two men met by chance at the folk festival. The suspect was traveling with a male escort. After the incident, both fled. According to the public prosecutor's office, the suspicion only refers to one person, not to the companion.
The Send in Münster with showmen from all over Germany takes place three times a year on the fairground on the Schlossplatz. This year's Spring Show opened on March 11 and would normally have ended on Sunday evening. Mayor Lewe (CDU) wanted to visit the crime scene and light a memorial candle for the victim.