The technician was at work in a pit underneath the market Square. Therein resides a technical installation, the water of the fountains on the square purifies. It was supposed to be the fountains after the winter period to start.Chlorine and sulphuric acid
“At work are chlorine and sulphuric acid in contact with each other. As a result chloordampen arise. A worker got it caught and had difficulty breathing. We have already taken measurements, showing that the atmosphere in and around the pit is dangerous. Therefore, we will the technical space airing,” says Lieven Dieussaert, brandweerluitenant at the hulpverleningszone Flemish Ardennes.
Police and fire departments have the Market just closed, but there is no danger for local residents.