President Donald Trumps the appointment of the hawk Elliott Abrams to the special envoy of Venezuela creates the fear that the country's crisis can spin out of control.
- It creates a direct link to America's dark history as a superpower that is willing to use any means to get what they want, " says Vegard Bye to the Newspaper.
He is an author and expert on Latin America, and one of them in Norway that knows Elliott Abrams past best.Fatal
Bye, as even the interview Abrams in connection with the book "Forbidden peace" (1990), fear that the line he stands for will utradere the last remnants of the Venezuelan economy and lead to civil war or a militærintervensjon from the united STATES.
- It is impossible, " says Bye of the appointment of Abrams.
The only logical consequence of this is one or another form of military intervention. Through a long life as a politician, he has shown that he is totally without interest for the will of the people in other countries, " says Bye.
According to the NTB has Abrams served in several republican administrations since Ronald Reagan, and was one of the chief architects behind the policies towards central America during both the Reagan and George H. W. Bush.VENEZUELA-CALLS: Foreign minister Ine Eriksen Søreide had Sunday conversations with both the Venezuelan self-styled president Juan Guaidó and president Nicolas Maduros foreign minister Jorge Arreaza. Photo: NTB Scanpix/Lise Åserud Show more
NTB writes that he in 1991 was convicted of withholding information from Congress during the investigation of the Iran-contra-affair, but that he was later pardoned.
Under George W. Bush, he had among other things, responsibility for middle East policy.No future
"Tragedy", is a word Vegard Bye user about the Abrams appointment, before he hurries to say that the library of the Venezuelan crisis is president Nicolas Maduro.
Maduro has no future. He has made it possible for the united STATES to take this role and get the West-Europe and Latin-America. It is the first tragedy, begins Bye.
After Maduro in 2013 took over as president after the charismatic Hugo Chávez (1954-2013), contradictions escalated, in line with the Maduros increasingly brutal overriding of the opposition.the Russian federation with the sharp U.S. criticism: - Can cause carnage
Now is the oil-rich country in full resolution, and the economy in free fall.
The second tragedy is that the EU countries and Norway allows US to manage this - a the united STATES represented by the extreme hawks and kaldkrigere. This is a repeat of the Us intervensjonspolitikk in Latin America. And Europe let it happen!, says an upset Bye.- Talk to Mexico
He has noted that the Norwegian foreign minister Ine Eriksen Søreide Sunday has samtalt with both the self-proclaimed president Juan Guaidó and Maduros foreign minister Jorge Arreaza.
It is my hope that it will be possible for the parties to find a political solution that includes the announcement of the new options and to avoid an escalation of the conflict. Norway is willing to contribute to such a political solution, if and when the parties wish it, " she says to NTB.
Bye encourage her to to coordinate with Mexico's leftist president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, "and not subject to the United states intervensjonsplan".
He is the only one who can speak Maduro to reason, " says Bye, who think Norway also should engage in a large-scale humanitarian aid agency of Venezuela.- Lets US control the
Bye are convinced that the united STATES ran a play in the scenes before Juan Guaidó with his position as nasjonalforsamlingens president appointed himself to the Venezuelan president.- A TRAGEDY: The mean Latin american expert Vegard Bye (image), about the appointment of Elliott Abrams to the Venezuela-dispatch. Photo: Scanteam Show more
It justifies him, that it was just a couple of hours before the new president was recognized by the united STATES - and then quickly got a result of countries such as Colombia, without that Nicolas Maduro have any plans to go by.
the European union's utenrikssjef Federica Mogherini said on Saturday, according to NTB that the EU will recognize Guaidó as the president of Venezuela if Maduros government does not declare new elections within eight days.
According to the Bye, it appears that the EU and Western Europe has moved away from its forhandlingslinje, and instead let the united STATES lead the way with its support to the Guaidós konfrontasjonslinje.
- Now it seems that one has let the united STATES take control of the whole, represented by none other than Abrams. It is a tragedy, repeat Bye.Dark past
What he fears now, is a repetition of the United states spesialøvelse in a number of countries in Latin America in the last century: the Direct or indirect military intervention.
that was What happened when Elliott Abrams first gained a reputation as an uncompromising hawk.
He was a hovedmann when the united STATES in the 1980s, secretly sold weapons to arch-villains Iran and used the money to finance the Contra guerrillas fighting to overthrow nicaragua's elected government.Contras-mates from the 1980s back in the us policy Comment
So he helped a nearly ten year long civil war, and to one of the decade's largest scandals in the united STATES. In 1987, received the Costa Rican president Oscar Arias the Nobel peace prize, among other things, for its efforts to put an end to this war.
- I've even interviewed Elliott Abrams, and he was furious at Norway for that we not supported the Us krigslinje in central America. And this man has in America's most conservative forces put in to save democracy in Venezuela. It is deeply tragic, " says Bye, who for long periods in the 1980s and stayed in central America as a researcher, writer and journalist for the Newspaper.the Danger of war
Bye think a oljeboikott from the united STATES now is very likely .
- It will be the last entry to take the life of the Venezuelan economy, " he says. With a oljeboikott say Bye that the army will lose big korrupsjonsinntekter, something he believes could lead to great internal conflict between those who first and foremost will be the end of the boycott, and those who are loyal to president Maduro.
- Then we may risk a civil war, " says Bye, who find it virtually impossible that president Nicolas Maduro will step down as president.
- If he has the army with him, means there is ultimately a danger of a military conflict with the united STATES, " says Vegard Bye.Gratifying that Trump is willing to support democracy in America's backyard