The German football legend Rudi Assauer passed away on Wednesday at the death after having struggled with Alzheimer's for a longer period of time.
Assauer was the man who back in 1999 downloaded Ebbe Sand for German football and fc Schalke 04. Prior to the switch had the Sand been through a hard kræftforløb that hampered his game.
Rudi Assauer thought on the Sand in the difficult period.
- It meant incredibly much to me, that he would dare to invest in me. Many clubs hesitated because of my illness, so I am very grateful that he believed in me.
- the Shift gave me so much motivation, " says Ebbe Sand for Extra Magazine.
the Sand was at that time the most expensive purchases in Schalkes history, as they paid 50 million. kr for him.
He responded with 73 goals in 214 matches.
Assauer and Sand had seven years together at Schalke 04 until Ebbe Sand stopped his football career in 2006.
He remembers back at a good time.
- Rudi and I came very close to each other and also spent time together outside of training.
We drank often coffee together, says Ebbe Sand
Rudi Assauer took on a special nickname for his attacker - a name that is very descriptive of how he was perceived by Ebbe Sand.
- He called me 'Schwiegersohn' (son-in-law red.), and we went and joked quite a bit with, say, Sand, which, of course, is affected by Rudi Assauers death.
- It is incredibly sad, it is a great personality, has passed away.
- He was a charismatic guy with a good mood. Always with a cigar in the corner of his mouth, says Ebbe Sand.
In his new role as the team he will play in Brøndby IF is he going to let themselves be inspired by its earlier manager. This he said in connection with the presentation in Brøndby to the news agency Ritzau.
- He was great to back his players up. He was a charismatic guy, he was close to his players. I will also put up to. The players will always be able to come to me, he said in the fall, according to Ritzau.
Rudi Assauer and Ebbe Sand on the stage
After karrierestoppet in 2006, Ebbe Sand on several occasions visited Rudi Assauer and Schalke 04.
As the years passed, the disease worse and worse.
Since Ebbe Sand visited Rudi Assauer in 2012, he could already see the first signs.
- I had made a powerpoint presentation and some video clips that I showed him. I could happily notice that I had him with, but he also had difficulty in remembering more of the things. It was evident, said Ebbe Sand for Extra Magazine in 2012.
At his most recent visit was the case however another.
I visited him at the latest in 2017, and that there was not much of him back, says Ebbe Sand.
Rudi Assauer was 74 years. He completed his career as a players ' agent after a distinguished career as manager and player.
Sports and Games Great interview: Regret of the king the praise of the Kaiser
Sports and Games Knocked all in the fall: the Super-manager shows his new championship team