on Wednesday, the Finnish have been racked Hercules-the storm broke several records: the Åland Kökar was measured in the Finnish sea areas for the entire measurement history of the wind speed, a ten-minute average of 32.5 meters per second. Gusts of wind rise the seas even over the hurricane of the border, at the height of 41.6 meters per second.
back at sea was measured by measuring the history of the wild wave height: the significant wave height was 7.9 m, and the highest single wave struck during the night of 14.1 metres.
in Addition, the water level fell lower than ever before in three locations in Western Finland: Vaasa, Rauma and Mäntyluoto.extreme Weather phenomena such as storms, is expected to intensify and become more common in the future. Eriika Ahopelto/the morning paper more in store?
Hercules is likely only a foretaste of how in the coming years and decades, when extreme weather events increase with climate change. Evening magazine interviewed by experts say that stronger storms require precautionary measures.
- This once again showed really well its that the built environment design and maintenance is very important. When extreme weather events come, the consequences can be truly dramatic and it is extremely important that the design and overall functionality of the input, say the Finnish construction engineers Association ceo and technology dr. Miimu Airaksinen , who worked previously at VTT, eco-efficient built environment research as a professor.
Airaksinen said that storms has been noticed, what kind of dangerous situations in the built environment can arise.
We don't have them in Finland used, but nowadays the methods are there, when figuring out different solutions and risk likelihood and severity and retrieving it through the optimum solution.
the Finnish meteorological institute head of unit, associate professor of Hilppa Gregowin concern, especially the beach construction. Beaches against storm, of course, higher wind loads, sea level rise and stormwater risks.
- Although the buildings are resistant, then risks arise also to the rest of the built environment and säävaihteluista. For example, freezing rain in finland are a growing risk.the Risk out of hercules-the storm caused extensive power outages, for example, in the Pirkanmaa region. Future äärisää is also a challenge of electricity distribution. Silja Viitala / the morning journal
Miimu Airaksinen said that Finland is, generally speaking, the construction of the security quite good. It should not, in itself, be worried about, but the buildings can withstand intense winds.
- for the Construction we have always had good criteria and a safety factor when sizing for example, the height of the buildings and what kind of wind they should take.
agree is the Finnish meteorological institute Gregow.
- Many things are prepared, and they have a long-term research behind it. Things also always being updated with new research information.
- in the Construction of the necessary long investment risk inventories are very extensive.
the builders cooperate, for example, the Finnish meteorological institute and VTT. Meteorological institute makes weather statistics and climate scenarios about what circumstances are going to be likely in the future, the construction and the functioning of society in terms of safety.
VTT, in turn, makes very accurate building-specific estimates of the various buildings, roads and general infrastructure affecting and targeting of the load.
- for Example, we have calculated current and future climates occurring the extreme wind and wind gusts repetition, sloping rainfall and stormwater risks, sea surface height extremes, heat islands and poor air quality probabilities. With these Finnish operators will be able to evaluate how they will own the target in its work, said Gregow.
Also in the building stock maintenance is important, Miimu Airaksinen continues.
- When extreme weather events have increased, so, in particular in the old building stock, property and maintenance play an important role in that dangerous situations arise.
Everyone has heard of the shed until the roof of the dampers and made of brick. The same series includes also solar panels.
- in Such matters to keep the attention clearly more attention. All that from the roof fell, it is of course extremely dangerous, says Airaksinen.
Although the hard storm wind comes very rarely, so then when the time comes, they are quite destructive.details of the åland Hercules-the storm claimed up to the human spirit. In mainland finland, the bigger damage was avoided. In the centre of helsinki storm, mess up traffic, when the wind picked according to the big ad sheet. SCREENSHOT
a technical of dr. Miimu Airaksinen raise many practical issues, which is not necessarily going to immediately think of the storm of wind was approaching and on.
- for Example, how the wind carries the snow in the ventilation ducts and how the waters getting in there then headed out. And when the storm comes heavy raining, so how especially in old cities can be managed stormwater out of management, while the urban sewer network is not dimensioned for such an amount of water.
One practical thing, which Airaksinen also mentions, which is not always necessarily thought of, are temporary solutions, such as facade renovation of the racks and sääsuojaukset.
- They are terribly dangerous, if they leave the take-off.
- there Is a lot of simple things that you need to start thinking about more urban development, continue Airaksinen.
Gregow take a single example cables on the traffic signs.
- That may be a decent storm to fly in place.Bridges can be closed
in fact, the building stock is, according to experts in Finland, so quite safe, and although high-rise buildings do any more, so those always done in wind tunnel surveys. They are tested, how the building reacts to the wind and should its format change, that it can withstand really strong winds.
the Same applies to the bridges, said Miimu Airaksinen.
- This analysis is made already much.
Bridges can be hard to the wind because sometimes you have to close.
- Always have to think about case-by-case situation on that you can use them or close them to minimize the risks, of use to the Miimu Airaksinen.
Lighter smaller buildings are one thing, isn't it news that strong winds are capable of such a move. Large storms can cause problems for example older light hangar-type buildings.Research is needed
the Finnish meteorological institute Hilppa Gregow tell you that the beach and the rest of the construction can take the placement of buildings and green space planning into account how the wind in the area behaves and how strong it blows.
- for This we absolutely need more modelling and research.
New residential areas are built already in collaboration with the Finnish meteorological institute.
- They think about a completely new way, because it is now consider both climate change mitigation objectives, adaptation to climate change, said Gregow and focus:
- Construction should be considered, that residents and the safety of operation and comfort are realized in future circumstances. This requires that the risks of climate change potential impacts are minimized, and energy systems and building material and color options pass through the one to one mitigation and adaptation.
Gregowin the opinion of different parties of cooperation have to do even more, including internationally.
- There are countries where storm risks are even more elevated than us, and there is a lot of experiments and solutions that can be learned and applied by us in Finland.
Gregowin, Finland must prepare for a changing climate extensively. Urban environment and safety should be viewed more broadly, extreme weather events, not just storms.
- you can't Always be indoors. Risks will change with climate change and their effects on society, security and stability are wide-ranging.