new year's day flew spacecraft New Horizons past a small isklode by the name of Ultima Thule, as the took pictures of.
The latest images are taken all the 6.4 billion kilometers from the Sun, shows that the globe in fact consists of two globes, which hang together, and both researchers and the media were quick to baptize iskloden 'the Snowman'.
But the discovery also provides a visible indication that our ideas about planet formation may not be completely crazy, writing Science.dk.
- here is great. We have never seen anything like it. The two objects are probably collided at very low speed, and then they have jammed in each other. It supports the mainstream theory of planetary formation by the collision, " says Hans Kjeldsen, who is a professor in the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Aarhus University.
the Ultima Thule is especially interesting, because it is located in the cold Kuiper belt in the outskirts of the solar system, which, according to the astronomers haven't changed that much the past 4 billion years.
- Therefore it is an obvious place to look for clues to our solar system's formation. It is like seeing back in time, " says Hans Kjeldsen.
The new image also shows that the planet is red. According to Hans Kjeldsen is probably a result of the radioactive irradiation, as the ice on the Ultima Thule has been exposed.
- It is enough isformer that have been irradiated, which gives the color. But we can't really make attempt, that shows it, as the ice here has been irradiated for billions of years. Most likely is the ice either frozen water, methane, ammonia or nitrogen, " says Hans Kjeldsen.
The new image reveals that Ultima Thule has been created under peaceful circumstances.
- seems to have either craters or holes, and it stands in great contrast to the planets and moons in the inner solar system, says Hans Kjeldsen.
- It seems to be going on quietly at speeds not exceeding a few km/h. You can also see that niveauforskellene are down to very few percent of the size. It is quite different than the asteroids and planets we know of, he says.
Farther in the solar system has there been more power on, and the planets, asteroids and moons have given each other distinct blow, as we know from our own moon craters.
the anglo-saxons were much worse than the vikings
Savannens beautiful beast caught by hidden camera
the Internet gossip: Here is your sexfantasi