Problems preparing for mining operations in Finland is not up-to-date, says environmental law professor Tapio Määttä the university of Eastern Finland.
– sit the government does not see it as important and not taken it forward, he said.
the ministry of Environment and the ministry's working group, explained the mining compensation system reform already in 2014. The goal was to figure out how the economic difficulties of the displaced corporate activities related to environmental obligations will be managed in the absence of state economic intervention.
the working Group proposed that operators could collect the funds, which could cover the bankrupt company's activities potentially caused by environmental damage. The confederation of Finnish industries, mining and chemical industry and the oil sector have considered the proposal disproportionate.
– the Industry is this opposed and the government has heard the industry, and I didn't want such a system to create. Either business operators together with the corresponding assets without a bankruptcy situation, the damages or the taxpayers pay. The government has wanted to put the cost rather on the taxpayer's dime, Määttä look.Taxpayers fall
in Finland, there are problematic situations in case the mine start-up amount for collateral, but they are not in all situations sufficient. Environmental damage magnitude often comes as a surprise.
today, the mining damage caused to the environment to pour the taxpayers saddled with, if the company goes bankrupt, and the company have not funds.
for Example, the extensive environmental damage caused and bankrupt the talvivaara nickel mine cost taxpayer hundreds of millions of euros.
When a canadian company-owned nickel mine, nivala in bankruptcy in 2015, the mine closure reserve collateral proved inadequate. Mining the environmental damage caused by the repair is used for more than 20 million Finnish taxpayers ' money.
Although the government has an amendment to the bankruptcy act, will continue to be destitute of the company's environmental responsibilities remain with the injured parties and the taxpayer if the liability cannot be covered by collateral.minister: ”the government program of the negotiations”
minister of economic Mika Lintilä (kesk) said on yle's number one morning he was prepared to consider whether the introduction of environmental protection insurance premiums which were collected from stakeholders in the sector, for example, the nature of the financial fund.
the evening paper asked Lintilä, why the current government has not progressed the matter and he now lifted it up, while the ministerial working group proposed the fund since 2014. Lintilä has served as the economy minister in 2016 since the end of.
That's the whole class is such that it is in the government programme negotiations. I don't know why it doesn't when the government programme negotiations have risen, Lintilä said.
Lintilä noted that the ministry of finance is very wet budget outside funds.
– This is a thing that should go through now. This current model is not possible in the preliminary work. If you were, for example, natural resource fund, it would allow that if it is found that the company is going bankrupt, the fund could be then used.minister of economic affairs, Mika Lintilä it would be a good reflection of the mining sector to be collected for the natural resources fund for the introduction of the possibility of. Petteri assistive aids and”don't sign”
Lintilä remind you that the mining and mineral industry is Finland's major industry. The field will come to Finland considerable investment and jobs.
But I didn't sign, that this should go industrial or economic activities led by the, Lintilä said.
I don't know how to say it. Now the issue has risen to more debate and it has been given more attention. Time many of these things are the ministry of the environment under the auspices of the.ministry of the Environment with the survey
Lintilä stresses that cooperation between ministries will be closely with the system development needs deciphering. Lintilä recalls that mining activities regulated by the mining act in addition to the essentially environmental conservation law and water protection law.
– You can't get a mining permit if the environmental permit is not in order.
minister of economic planning now to figure out the laws of the interoperability and potential development needs, together with the ministry of the environment Kimmo Tiilikainen (centre).
– Always mining causes environmental changes. They should minimize and should be manageable.
the New mining act, the minister is not in favour. Last weeks review subject to the mining act came into force in 2011.
– No active wells is not yet the new mining act on the basis of licensing, Lintilä pointed out.