the city of Stockholm tightens the sustainability requirements for the purchase of meat to their activities. Under the new contract have all of the food from the first of april live up to the Swedish animal welfare law that is stronger than in many EU countries.
But private schools are not covered by the reinforcement. Friskolornas school meals is regulated in the education act, which only requires free and nutritious meals. Stockholm today has more private schools than public schools, 181 primary and secondary schools is self-contained and 177 are communal.
– the city of Stockholm has no ability to impose requirements on private schools when it comes to food, the independent school operators are responsible for their own business and controlled by the Inspectorate. As well as of the environment & health committee, if it is serious cases where students are at risk to become sick, " says skolborgarråd Lotta Edholm.
– Yes, absolutely. But I think it is perfectly reasonable that independent school operators are responsible for their own food, it cannot and should not the municipality do. The regulatory framework that goes beyond the education act is voluntary, we can only do the binding in the municipal schools, " says Lotta Edholm.
the Swedish federation of Bird welcomes the stricter criteria in procurement, for example, the use of antibiotics in poultry farms but questions of the sustainability requirements do not apply to all students.
Man sets high standards in the new criteria, but they are ineffective if not independent school operators covered by the law on public procurement.
" we set high standards in the new criteria, but they are ineffective if not independent school operators covered by the law on public procurement. The requirements must apply to all schools, regardless of whether it is a private school or not, " says Maria Donis, president of the American Bird.
the problem first in connection with the Polish köttskandalen when thousands of students in Stockholm, was served meat from the svartslaktade cows.
As a parent, I become upset. I myself have children in a private school and think that it is remarkable that we buy Polish meat at all. Here we have a gap, private schools should not be able to ignore the law, " says Maria Donis.Maria Donis, president of the American Bird, also want the independent school operators must follow the requirements of the purchase of the meat for other schools. Photo: American bird
the Foundation Viktor Rydberg owns some of the 26 schools that served the Polish meat in January. Their caterer Klein's Kitchen has now decided to buy only Swedish and nordic meat.
" We are working together with Klein to produce enhanced matkrav and measures to ensure that there is no risk of it happening again. We should of course like to have Swedish and locally grown meat, not least for environmental reasons, but also to ensure food security, " says Kristy Lundström, head of school at the Viktor Rydberg schools.
She welcomes the tightening of the livsmedelsregler even for private schools.
– We are not now under the law on public procurement, but we welcome this if the requirement would come from the government. We get public money to run schools and, for us, transparency is important. We want students, parents and taxpayers should have confidence in our schools, " says Kristy Lundström.The scandalous Polish meat. Photo: food control
more than one of the three municipalities in the country are buying is basically only in Swedish meat according to the Nfa. Only every fourth municipality has targets in his måltidspolicy. Now, the government has to make the requirements mandatory.
" We shall ensure that all public schools are forced to put these requirements on, inter alia, the use of antibiotics when they buy meat. It will be mandatory during the mandate period, " says civilminster Ardalan Shekarabi.
We shall ensure that all public schools are forced to put these requirements on, inter alia, the use of antibiotics when they buy meat.
– private Schools not covered by the law. However, I urge students and parents to make demands of their schools, which at least is in line with the requirements for public procurement, they are paid by taxpayers ' money.
– It is an option, but I think you're going all the way on the requirements of the independent school operators. The free skolvalet means to choose which school the children should go in. Then it is reasonable to set the requirement on the food, " says Ardalan Shekarabi.
Read more: Stockholm's largest high school opt out of red meat
Read more: city of Stockholm could not stop the Polish meat
Ingmar Nevéus: Trust in the Polish meat drops like a stone