the UNITED states is on track to pull out of an international agreement on arms control. This was stated by the president, Donald Trump, according to the AFP news agency.
The case of the so-called Open Skies treaty, which was concluded in 1992 between 35 countries, including Denmark.
- Russia has not complied with the treaty, says Trump on Thursday to journalists.
- So until they comply with it, we drag ourselves out.
the President adds that there is 'a very good chance that we make a new appointment or something, which put the agreement back together again', writes the news agency Reuters.
the Treaty specifies how the 35 member states must make observationsflyvninger over each other's countries.
The american exit from the agreement will formally take place in six months, says a senior source in the Trump administration, according to Reuters.
Russia's deputy foreign minister Aleksander Grusjko denotes it as a blow to the european security, that the UNITED states will pull out of the treaty.
- the UNITED states'withdrawal from this treaty will not only be a blow to the foundation of european security, but against the essential security interests of the UNITED states'allies, says Grusjko according to AFP.
Nato ambassadors gather on Friday to discuss the situation, according to the UNITED states now also has announced that it will withdraw from the Open Skies treaty. It says an official in the forsvarsalliancen according to the Norwegian news agency NTB.
- All allies agree that arms control, disarmament and non-proliferation provides the basic important contribution to alliance security, says the official.
At the Nato summit in 2018, reiterated the member states ' leaders, their concern over Russia's 'selective implementation' of the agreement, adds the official statement to the NTB.
- We are especially concerned that Russia has put restrictions on flights over some areas. The allies continue close consultations on the future of the treaty, says the Nato official.
For less than a year ago pulled the US formally out of the 1987 INF treaty. It was also, according to the UNITED states government had determined that Russia had violated the agreement.
It denied the Russian government.
the INF agreement was a key deal for the europeans. It prevented the former Soviet union and the UNITED states oprustede with atomic missiles in Europe.