There are very far to the place of destination for ski holiday in Sweden, when one's children begin to throw up, in almost the same moment as the car has set itself in motion in Denmark.
All the times, in the past we have set the exchange rate against Sweden in the car, we have spent the first half hour of our skiing holiday to the rut bilmåtter. The only real alternative has been the expensive flights to the south of the Alps.
But then we discovered that there is a train that runs almost to the foot of some of the ski lifts in Sweden.
Snälltåget called it, and the name is a bit misleading, since there is nothing fast about it. It fütter away from Malmö with the connection from Copenhagen central Station at a leisurely pace over Stockholm in the east, before it again sets sail for the west against the middle of Sweden, which constitutes the ski Vemdalen, Åre and news for the upcoming winter season, Storlien.
For us who were born in the 1970s, it is pure nostalgia to put themselves into a topkupé with curtain for door and window. The latter can even be opened, so the fresh air comes to meet us. And Snälltåget is a bit of a time warp, as also velourpolsteret on the seats are from a bygone time, and the dust that swirls up when you go from siddekupéen to liggekupéen, also have some years old.
But even if it all seems a little bedaget and cuddled, then works the concept. Sitting good, you relax, and when you get hungry, you can go to the dining car and get a pretty good round steak, mash and gravy. the
Mash, gravy and steak or pasta with meat sauce. Lovely dinner in the train's restaurant car, while the Swedish countryside roll past. Photo: Maiken Kolby
Good 16 hours after departure draw you the curtains and stands in the middle of the finest, white snow at Röjan Station. From here it is only a short bus ride of 20 minutes to Vemdalen, with its three ski areas Björnrike, Vemdalsskalet and Klövsjö/Storhogna.
We chose to Be, as it is the largest of the three and has restaurants and shopping opportunities, which fits well for a family of five rail passenger, who does not have the advantage of being able to download food from a packed station wagon.
There are many good long runs in both Vemdalsskalet and Björnrige, and there is plenty of space on the slopes. Photo: Maiken Kolby
We were away at easter this year, and it provides a lot of skiing. The exit from Malmö was Saturday afternoon, and Sunday at. 10 we were skiing. Returafgangen from Vemdalen was not until the following Sunday afternoon, so we managed to have seven and a half day of skiing.
for this reason, we also spent two days in Björnrige, where there are also cosy and, among others, a snow park, as our children would like to engage in, and a homemade pulled porkburger on Bräjks Matbar, as the children's father would like to engage in.
the Area in Klövsjö/Storhogna is not quite as interesting as the other two, but the restaurant Storhogna M offers both good pizzas and bowling alleys, if you are looking for a little change of pace from skiing. Shuttle bus between the three areas is free. the
Blue sky, high sun, and the crackling white snow under the boards. Photo: Maiken Kolby
It was our third trip on a ski holiday to Sweden, since we got children, and the snow in Vemdalen, was exceptional, good easter.
Vemdalen and also to the Oar, which Snälltåget running, is located further north than the traditional dane-destinations such as Sälen and Branäs, where we previously have been. The latter is so southern, that the snow can begin to thaw already in February, while snekanonerne was not in use in april in Vemdalen. There is also plenty of space on the slopes, as the area largely used by the swedes.
The only other danes at løjpen was they who took the train with us and not moved on to the more well-known Vein. There is therefore a good opportunity to prate svenska at the grocery store in the ICA or at the sports bar on Skalets Torg square.
all in All, was took to the slopes a great experience. Vemdalen was a nice acquaintance. The food at the restaurants was far above expectation, and we spent not a single minute to do bilmåtter clean. the
Pizzaerne are large and tasty. General was the quality of the restaurants in Vemdalen very high. Photo: Maiken Kolby
--------- SPLIT ELEMENT ---------
the train journey goes like a breeze, when you can play cards or watch the iPad without being køresyg. Photo: Maiken Kolby
Oar: Departure from Malmö on Wednesday and Saturday with arrival the day after about 8 o'clock in the morning. Departure from Åre is Thursday and Sunday, which is byttedage on overnatningsstederne in Åre. Trains run up to easter end of the year 21. april 2019.
NOTE: Åre to host the FIS Alpine World Ski Championships, the world's second largest vintersportsbegivenhed after the OLYMPICS, in week 6 and 7 in 2019. So it will have a big impact on the number of available homes and ski areas.
Departure from Malmö on Saturday afternoon with an arrival on Sunday morning. Departure from Vemdalen is Sunday afternoon, with an arrival in Malmö on Monday morning. Some weeks there is also the option for a shorter ski tour departing from Malmö on Wednesday. Trains run up to easter end of the year 21. april 2019. the
Square in Vemdalen offers several restaurants, bars and shopping areas. Photo: Maiken Kolby
Storlien innovation of the Year with Snälltåget is Storlien, which is located only two kilometres from the Swedish/Norwegian border. Flights to Storlien begins in week 6 2019. Also nearby Vålådalen and Storulvån is on the same route and have up to two weekly departures in selected weeks next year.
the Price of a whole compartment of six sleeping places and including the evening and the breakfast both roads located at approximately 10.500 Swedish kronor. Because of the favorable exchange rate right now is equivalent to about 7700 Danish kroner for a train ride to the slopes of Vemdalen. In addition, the expense for the apartment, hotel or chalet, ski passes and any ski rental.
You can also fly on skis in the north.
Easyjet flies from Copenhagen to Åre/Östersund every Saturday from 15. december to 30. march, and you can thus exchange the 12 hours of driving from Copenhagen with one and a half hour flight.
Buses will take you the last distance to your skidestination. There is approximately a one hour transfer to the Resort an hour and a half to Vemdalen.
When you are with the train on the ski, it is clearly an advantage to stay close to the piste. But it can be - regardless of what mode of transport you choose to its destination.
the Foursome SnowTrex.dk lists other advantages by slipping directly from the front door out in the white surface.
* Accommodation at the slopes saves you not only time, but you also avoid having to look for a parking space for your car, or to go for a ride with the ski bus and may stand as herring in a barrel. Fully clothed and with his hands filled with skis and poles trasker to the ski bus and may need to stand all the way up. It is tiring, especially for children.
* Check out the first after being stood up, how pisteforholdene is, fasten your skis and slide quietly over to the lift. the
* Or be the first on the piste in the morning, and take the trip up on the mountain with the last lift. It is the freedom you have when the accommodation is located directly at the piste, and you do not need to have in mind that you need with today's last ski bus back to the accommodation.
* the Supply of accommodation in the vicinity of the slopes are wide - there is something for both singles, couples, family or group. Accommodation at ski resorts in the slopes often at the 1/2 pension, so the time between breakfast and dinner can be planned freely, and you yourself can determine when there should be time for lunch. Morning and evening one should therefore not even provide food on the table, and you can just sit at the table.
* But also apartments and chalets near the piste is very popular. The cheap prices as well as privacy in their own apartment for many families and small groups a big plus.
* Accommodation at the slopes are also perfect for those, who do not want to spend the whole day skiing. You can easily take back to the accommodation and take a relax and enjoy a cup of freshly brewed coffee on the balcony, and maybe waving to forbiløbende family members on the slopes. Families with small children or grandparents can return to the accommodation and take a nap, and you can divide up according to who is standing on skis, and who does not.