MELBOURNE (Ekstra Bladet): Had harbored a small hope that Johanna Larsson would whip up a bit of a arvefjendestemning up before her meeting with Caroline Wozniacki in the second round, it falls to the ground like a soaked tennis ball.
For Miss Larson, who lives just a handful of kilometers from Denmark in Helsingborg, sweden, have, on the contrary, the charitable nabofølelser, as she puts the sympathetic words.
I actually feel the opposite. If there is another skandinav on tennisturen, I'm just happy that she or he is there. We don't get as many top players up anymore, so I think we should try to help each other, collaborate and get made each other as good as possible, she says to Ekstra Bladet at the WTA's intervention.
The warm feelings apply - at least in the sporting sense - and also Caroline Wozniacki, Scandinavia's top player for a decade.
Her performance has been exceptional, and she has been a face for us out there. It has been good to have her in the top, it sounds appreciative from Johanna Larsson, who in 2016 reached its so far the best ranking as number 45.
today, she is number 77, and she has never gone beyond the second round at the Australian Open despite eight prior attempts.
In the first round, she escaped fairly easily past the young hviderusser Vera Lapko, who resigned in the second set, as Larsson led 7-6, 3-0.
- I feel comfortable. I'm as fit as I can be, said Johanna Larsson of the victory, which was her first in 2019 after the defeat in Auckland and Hobarth.
just Like Caroline has the 30-year-old swede has been a long time on the WTA tour.
- It is funny that we have been on the tour for so many years without having played against each other.
- She is an extremely tough opponent and defending champion here, so I'm definitely the underdog in the showdown. But I will just try to swing freely and try to play my own game, and then we shall see how far it goes.
- She gets many balls back and is supersolid, returns and the server as well. She is difficult to meet on all surfaces, I think, but of course I will try to win the fight.
Caroline Wozniacki at the Australian Open
Win the final over Simona Halep 7-6, 3-6, 6-4
3. round: Johanna Contaminated, Britain, 6-3 6-1
1.round: Yulia Putintseva, Kazakhstan, 1-6 7-6(3) 6-4
2. round: Victoria Azarenka, Belarus, 6-4 6-2
3. round: Garbiñe Muguruza, of Spain, 4-6 7-5 6-3
4. round: Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia 6-2 2-6 7-5
Quarter-final: Kim Clijsters, Belgium, 6-3 7-6(4)
semi final: Na Li, China, 3-6 7-5 6-3
4. round: Na Li of China, 6-4 6-3
3. round: Jelena Dokic, Australia, 3-6 6-1 6-2
4. round: Ana Ivanovic, of Serbia, 6-1 7-6(2)
read more Close
Tennis - 14. jan. 2019 - at. 10:55 Mesterhak! Caroline opened title defense with a nice win
Tennis - 14. jan. 2019 - at. 11:38 Piotr shocked by the heat level: This gives the wings