Each year, yanks the emergency services out to a little over 6,000 fires in Sweden. The most common cause of fire starts is that something been left on a hob but in december increases, not unexpectedly, the number of fires caused by lit candles.
– this is the season, now in december and half of January, as the brandorsaken increases, " says Hans Andersson, fire protection engineer at fire protection association.
Last year, snatched the emergency services out to the vast majority of fires during the month of december. From 2008 to 2017 was living light the ninth most common brandorsaken in Sweden. But for the month of december in the same year is candles on the fourth place.
candles are replaced with electric lamps to reduce the risk of a fire. But for those who want to have light with a flame, it is important to think about how to place the lights. They should not stand too close to curtains or anything that can easily catch fire, candles should not be placed too close to each other or stand on combustible surfaces.
– Often, it becomes associated with the christmas parties, we drink alcohol and lose rating, and then forget to remove that, you have the light, " says Hans Andersson.
fire protection association also calls to skip the candlesticks in wood, instead, they should use the candlesticks which can't start the burn in, for example, metal or ceramic.
christmas is the christmas tree. Several institutions have in the brandlaboratorier tested how quickly a dry spruce burning in comparison with a watered gran.
It takes ten seconds, as is the entire room in flames, when it comes to dry firs. As long as a tree is fresh, it is not so easy to kindle a fire on it, " says Hans Andersson.
In the clip below you can see the difference between the fire development in a watered and a ovattnad gran. The test is conducted by the us research organisation the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
" I would clearly advise against both the sparklers and candles in the christmas trees. It is not only that you have a spruce you have a lot of other things, like garlands, which is combustible in the christmas tree, " says Hans Andersson.
the Swedish civil contingencies Agency, MSB, shows that 97% of all homes today have smoke detectors. A high figure, but according to Hans Andersson, has, unfortunately, not as many a working smoke alarm.
– When the emergency services have done outreach to see if brandvarnarna really works then it turns out that the number is down to 50-60% that has a working smoke alarm.
He lifts the importance of smoke alarms are tested regularly, and that there is one in each of the rooms in the dwelling.
– what happens if a fire starts in a room with the door closed?
– It depends entirely on what type of fire it is. You have something to extinguish the fire should, of course, do it. It burns great and has made a fire in, for example, a piece of furniture and you don't have a fire extinguisher, you must evacuate and call for help.
Hans Andersson says that the big fires is a consequence just of missing or broken smoke alarms.
– do you Have smoke alarms detect the fire when it is small, " he says.