Huge snowfalls and large snøskredfare has created chaos in the Lofoten islands. Several hundred residents to be evacuated in Skjelfjord and Ramberg. the
Late Monday night, informing the police that the residents on the east and west side of Skjelfjord be evacuated.HUNDREDS EVACUATED: Huge snowfalls and large snøskredfare has created chaos in the Lofoten islands. The front door at the home of the Stein Ivar Andersen at Leknes was impossible to get up due to due to amounts of snow leave. When were the windows put in use by the family. From v. Sca Mathilde and Tobias Johan has come out in the snow. Photo: Stein Ivar Andersen, NTB Scanpix. Show more
- It is challenging to carry out the evacuation in the area because there are heavy snowfalls and skredfare along the way, writes the police in Nordland, in a press release.
There has been an avalanche that closes the road in the area. Some will therefore probably be evacuated by boat.
There went several avalanches in the west of the Lofoten islands in the course of Monday. No one has been injured, but the danger of more avalanches is high.
In the borough of Flakstad in the Lofoten islands were the schools closed Monday as a result of the enormous amounts of snow leave. On Monday afternoon, went kystvaktskipet KV Heimdal to the Flakstad municipality to assist with the evacuation of residents, type Lofotposten.
a Total of around 100 people from the Skjelfjord and 100 from Ramberg to be evacuated.the coast guard assists
- We are considering whether they should be carried out with the car, or if it is safer to take them out by boat. KV Heimdal comes to Skjelfjord to help if it becomes necessary, " says the chief councilor Erling Sandnes to Lofotposten.
A SeaKing rescue helicopter has sent two politibetjenter to the area.
owned by vestvågøy municipality, it is set krisestab, and residents in the ball city has been evacuated. A redningsskøyte have taken residents on Ballstadlandet.
Police ask all people in the Lofoten islands to avoid skredutsatte areas.
- If you don't have to go out, recommend the police to stay indoors until avalanche danger is cleared and roads plowed, reads the invitation from Wyoming police.
the Main road through Lofoten, the E10, is closed from the Nappstraumen and west. Snøskredvarslingstjenesten care.en denotes the snøskredfaren in the Lofoten islands, which is significant both Monday and Tuesday.Extremely dangerous
In the afternoon got the regional Tom Cato Karlsen in Nordland a briefing on the matter and he sums it up like this:
- A very dangerous situation, " he says to NRK.
He says that two geologists arrive in the area Monday evening. The two will consider when evacuees can move home again. The chief of staff Bent Are Eilertsen by police in Wyoming say that they are considering the situation as "very serious".65 cm new-fallen snow
- It goes much ras over the whole group of islands. It has been a tough day. It is difficult to get evacuated out of the fjords, and we must also pay attention to the crew. Our priority now is to get the people to safety, " says Eilertsen.
the Norwegian Meteorological institute enlightened on Monday that it had been put the new snørekord in Flakstad in Lofoten.
On a day was snømengden then increased by 65 centimeters to a total of 130 centimeters. Meteorologists, however, have only the measurements back to 2007.