Selma, 16, offers vegan cake at home in Älvsjövillans kitchen. She goes first year in the arts program with image and forminriktning at S:t Eriks gymnasium, but has only been there less than half of the time. Now she has been F-warning in English and the offer of extended study time over the summer to take on again the topic.
– I is located on the border in a few topics. Teaching methods does not really work for me. But I still hope it to go, " says Selma Holm.
she began to get difficult to go to school. At home, she was, as usual, but she was unable to go to school more than half the time.
– I began to be away a lot in eighth grade. After a while I got panikångestattacker. They came every now and then. I changed the school, but it didn't help. When I got a panic attack, became depressed and felt bad, I looked for care on the bup.
Read more: Fewer students receive special support in the city of Stockholm
Selma Holm's parents did what parents do, nag and trying at all costs to get her daughter to go to school, but felt soon that the school was not good for Selma. Then it was decided that she would not have to go there. Today you will decide in the evening if Selma manages to go to school the day after. So, not every morning will be a conflict, a press that constantly need to know the following: I can go today, or I can not?Selma Holm's parents did what parents do, nag and trying at all costs to get her daughter to go to school. Photo: Magnus Hallgren
– The social game. There is so much people everywhere at the school, so much noise, people running around. When I started school, would hundred students pressed in a small building. When it becomes too much for people, I think it becomes a hassle. I don't know how I'll handle it. Then I sit rather where it is peaceful and quiet. I usually come to school at lunch, " she says.
she's the first at the end of the year. It is a neuropsychiatric disability as girls a long time not considered to be able to get. A milder form of autism that often makes you difficult to communicate with others, need clear instructions and are stressed by the changes.
– Many people have a stereotypical image of people who are on the autism spectrum. You are a Rain man type. Hardly talks or is totally inside the cars or something. Many also think that just because you have asperger's so like you not to be social and be with people. Thus, you do not want to. But it is often the case that you want to, but don't really know how.
Why no one at the school alerted, no special education teacher was and why no one in the högstadietiden understood that she needed the support, think Selma is due to the knowledge of asperger's is too low. In addition, she has fairly easy to learn, at their own pace.
" I'm pretty good at logical thinking, but not as good to quickly put down the things on paper. Sometimes my brain goes faster than myself. It will not be linked. I'm not so good at that question, but have always found it easy to pick up on things and to learn. I was approved in all subjects, except four.Selma Holm, 16, has aspergers and is struggling to cope with school, though she only manages to be there at half-time. ”The school is adapted to the located in the middle of the normalkurvan, it is very inflexible,” she says. Photo: Magnus Hallgren
a relief. Not least to understand why she so often ended up in conflict with friends.
" It has always happened things with friends, it has become a fight and I have never understood why. It might have been clear to others, but not for me. With the diagnosis, it was not as much: why doesn't this? Why does there seem to be so much easier for all the others, but not for me? What is wrong with me then? Oh well, that is the problem.
the Diagnosis also made it easier to get a hearing for the special support of the school.
– If you do not have a diagnosis may not help, then you have not the rights. The school does not want to do things it does not need to, for it takes on their resources. It is as if you become a burden. It is not very fun always having to ask for help all the time. You feel like a burden. The school is behaving like I am is a big problem which I should solve.
not over , and has required a great effort from both her and her parents to get a teaching adapted to her needs. During a period sjukskrevs Selma at 25% and she has taken away several substances in order to reduce the stress of schoolwork.
– It is well suited for the one who is right in the middle of the normalkurvan. Otherwise it's probably not for anyone, the school is very rigid.
" I don't want to live in such a segregated society. To those who have adhd should go in a class and those with dyslexia in another. Have we not come further in the day? I'm thinking that it should be as with food allergies, then we can arrange it, so that all can eat and get part of the cake.
" I have a special education teacher that I meet with every week and it is good. But in my class of 36 students have 10-15 people some kind of special support. When you get extra of writing time at the sample must sit in a particular room. Half the class sits there. Both those with dyslexia and other diagnoses.
– It might not be so great. Those with aspergers or autism need more quiet and have less groups. Those with adhd have trouble sitting still and need to get out their energy. Those with dyslexia need more time. It will be a very big clash to put everyone in the same classroom.
– it would Then have been able to go so much better. I had been able to perform better if I got some help. Then I would be able to come in at Kulturama, where I rather wanted to go. Now I go to S:t Eriks high school, which I am pretty happy with.
– Of the I know with the high level of absenteeism is no dataspelsberoende or sitting in front of the cell phone throughout the day. Not a single one. It's just a way for the school to blame. I bake, cook, paint, listen to pods and do school assignments when I'm at home.
" Listen to those who know something about the problem. The students and parents. We must change the school. All are different individuals and will not learn in the same way. It is not possible to have the same methods for all. Put all in a class and think that it should go well.
" I want to keep on with something creative, not so within the limits, but something I like to do. Many with asperger's, if they have a goal and something they believe in, then no one can stop them. Where should I and where I'm going to come, " says Selma Holm.