MELBOURNE (Ekstra Bladet): Regardless of their mutual history, which does not count very many christmas cards, showed Maria Sharapova big, collegial respect and recognition towards his next opponent, Caroline Wozniacki, when she met the press after his victory in the second round.
- I think her results speak for themselves, and in particular the past year. It also tells us how she has been able to raise its level, said the Russian after the 6-2, 6-1 over Swedish Rebecca Peterson.
I feel that the grand slam was the trophy, she has higet after. It reached she with great determination last year.
- She loves to play here, love everything about this tournament. I certainly have a very tough fight in front of me.
Ten times has she met the dane, and she leads 6-4 amongst themselves. The three of the victories have, however, been on gravel, so Wozniacki leads 4-3 on hardcourt and she has won their two meetings in grand slams in 2010 and 2014, both in the US Open.
The two have not met each other since the spring of 2015.
Caroline has beaten Maria in their last grand slam meeting at US Open in 2014. Photo: Ritzau Scanpix
- It is always very physical matches. She gets many balls back. She is one of the sport's big kontraspillere. Incredibly solid. She does many things really well, praising the Russian.
- But you should also be able, if you want to be world number one and win a grand slam. I expect that she shows it all on Friday.
Maria Sharapova assumes a certain level of the role as the underdog.
- On paper yes. If you look at the numbers, so absolute, says the world's current number, 30, who does not quite know whether She grand slam title making her harder to beat now:
- It is hard to say. We all have our own, personal journeys. I have not met her for a very long time. So it is hard to say.
- But she is number three in the world, and it speaks its own language about her game, her self-confidence and everything else.
Caroline was effective in the second round, where she only gave four games away against Swedish Johanna Larsson. Photo: Anne Parker
Maria Sharapova will no doubt love to grab dane's scalp just now. It will, in fact, for her, be a personal proof that she is back on top and a powerful signal to the outside world and the other competitors.
She has on because of an injury not played much since the US Open last year.
- I only played 11 tournaments last year. I want me first and foremost, playing matches. Whether it is against Wozniacki or another. Yes, I would like to meet top players.
- When you is the world number 30, you will always meet a top player in the third round. How it works seedningen.
- But it is not my approach. For me it's about putting myself up for the next round, and this time it is against Wozniacki.
She has only made three batches in two matches, and of course, it is positive. But completely satisfied, she is not.
- There are definitely things that I would like to improve. But I've been happy with my concentration fighting through.
- It has been two very different matches, settled at different times and under different conditions. In the situation it's being able to adapt, and the kind of experience I have.
- I know what it's about. I know that I need to overcome it, my opponents are going with, and get the job done, says Maria Sharapova.
Ten meetings between Wozniacki and Sharapova
2015, Madrid, quarter-final, gravel: Sharapova, 6-1 3-6 6-3
2014, Sæsonfinalen, first round, hardcourt: Wozniacki, 7-6(4) 6-7(5) 6-2
2014, the Us Open, the 4. round, hardcourt: Wozniacki 6-4 2-6 6-2
2013, Indian Wells, final, hardcourt: Sharapova, 6-2 6-2
2012, Miami, semifinal, hardcourt: Sharapova, 4-6 6-2 6-4
2011, Rome, semi-final, gravel: Sharapova, 7-5 6-3
2011, Indian Wells, semi final: Wozniacki, 6-1 6-2
2010, the Us Open, the 4. round: Wozniacki, 6-3 6-4.
2008, Rome, 4. round: Sharapova, 6-4 7-6(3)
2008, Doha, quarter-final, hardcourt: Sharapova, 6-0 6-1