It was to have ended in sex and sweet music, when the rare Sumatran tigerhan Asim from the Danish Ree Park Safari was flown to the London Zoo to mate with huntigeren Melati.
But when the keepers on Friday closed the two tigers in the same cage, smoke, they are at each other's throats, and Melati ended up being slain after a few minutes.
Director of Ree Park Safari, Jesper Stagegaard, is not in doubt that the keepers at London Zoo have taken all the precautions they should.
He says, however, that the Asim otherwise is a gentle and experienced father.
- the Reason he is sent to London, is, in the Ree Park actually is the father of four litters. A few days after he was raised from Ree Park, was the fourth and last litter was born. Three kittens, which are absolutely tiny and don't even have eyes yet, says Jesper Stagegaard.
Asim is seven years old and born in Frankfurt.
Led he came to Ree Park Safari, he was on a trip over the Heidelberg Zoo in Germany, which is also included in the breeding programme for the conservation of the Sumatran tiger.
Here was a mating with a tiger-she not gone super-well, because Asim and the female smoke at each other's throats. At the time, however, it was not death as in the London Zoo, and they believed that in a special degree was the female, who had been aggressive.
Seven-year-old Asim from Ree Safari Park have killed a tiger in the London Zoo. Photo: London Zoo
Community - 8. feb. 2019 - at. 21:15 Tiger from the Danish zoo kills rare tiger in London Zoo
- He then came to Ebeltoft, without he at that time had been the father of someone with a note that it was believed that the clash was due to the female's physique, but that you also thought that he had behaved aggressively, however, without deaths, says the director.
With that in mind, they set their tigerhun Gasha and Asim, together, so that they could see and sniff each other, but with bars in between. And in the course of just a week, they showed much sympathy for each other.
- There is no aggressive behavior, and they are located on top of the purchase of the night, and sleep with the back up of each other with bars between. So we dare the coat and closes them together with all the precautions one takes, and it takes a few seconds, so of the two, and has scored four litters ago, says Jesper Stagegaard and continues:
- He has never been aggressive with us. He has on the contrary been one of the amazing tigers, where we have been able to put huntigeren together with him again relatively short time after birth. And he has been legeonkel for the here tigerunger, he says, and mentions that otherwise it is seen that hantigre eat the fry, because they see them as prey.
- Risk Asim now to be killed?
- No, there are so few sumatran tigers left. If he had shown completely atypical behaviour, on the one tiger after the other, and slew him, and behaved strangely, so it is clear, that so you may need to take some drastic decisions in the first place, for example, to say that this should just be an exhibition tiger in a zoo, where you are not interested in breeding, says Jesper Stagegaard and adds, that it is not the case with Asim.
- Asim exhibit all the natural tiger behavior, he must, so there is nothing strange in him. He is a super tiger, and I'm convinced that you probably should find a mate for him, who will act, says the director.
It was never meant to Asim to return to the Ree Park because he and Gasha had so great avlssucces that their genkombination now estimated to be amply represented.
To return, in the Ree Park Safari is a tigerhan on the way from the London Zoo.
- He was just on a succesfully in another zoo, where he must mate with another female, before he on the relatively short time the lands in Ebeltoft, tells the director.
the Sumatran tigers, which live in the jungles of Sumatra in Indonesia is extremely endangered in the wild. According to the BBC there were in 1970, registered 1000 Sumatran tigers in the wild. Today that number is down to just 300. In captivity can Sumatran tigers be about 20 years. Sumatran tigers are the smallest of the five tiger species and has the narrowest of black stripes.