PARIS (Ekstra Bladet): the French can thank the 500 firefighters, to one of Europe's most iconic buildings not burned to the ground late Monday night, as of yet unknown causes broke out a fierce fire in the Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris.
Such is the verdict on Tuesday afternoon, en Ekstra Bladet meets captain Alexandre Jouassard from the fire department in Paris in front of the ruins of the former so magnificent cathedral.
the Officers had to keep the rank-and-file firefighters back to ensure that they did not do something stupid. Our men fought with the hearts above the brain in order to save the cathedral, telling the captain Jouassard, who works as a spokesman for the fire brigade in Paris. He was not even in the rescue operation Monday.
the human ocean around the Notre Dame is huge and glances exchanged is long after the captain Jouassard, who, dressed in uniform to speak with Extra Magazine.
the next Day they are Alexander Jouassard proud in front of Notre Dame in its brandmandsuniform. Photo: Anthon Unger
Brandteknikere could on Tuesday be seen with thermal cameras around Notre Dame. Photo: Anthon Unger
Jouassards jerk is rank.
a Short time before a boat from the fire brigade sailed past Notre Dame on the Seine.
As the boat at a leisurely pace slipped past the cathedral broke the cheers of the crowd along the river bank, out in spontaneous applause, as the hairs rose on his neck, and chills ran down along this author back.
- Our firefighters are the true heroes. Without them, the church was probably burnt down to the ground, says Alexandre Jouassard proud.
the Cathedral of Notre Dame
the Construction of Notre Dame began in 1163 and was only finished 200 years later.
the Cathedral is 130 meters long and the towers are 68 feet high.
the Church has been restored several times most recently from 1991 and forward. There was a restoration in progress when the fire broke out.
Each year visit the more than 13 million people in the church.
Notre Dame was the home of a number of irreplaceable relics and works of art. Among other things, Madonnastatuen, La Vierge de Paris from the 1300-century and Jesus the holy crown of thorns. It is confirmed that the last mentioned was rescued from the flames.
Ritzau, AFP, notredameparis.fr, denstoredanske.dk and Kristligt Newspaperread more Close
According to the young engineer captain's opinion, was more of the rank-and-file firefighters willing to sacrifice their lives in the fight for Notre Dames survival on Monday evening.
Only a single firefighter was hurt in the flames. En Ekstra Bladet ask for his condition is the answer, that he is in recovery.
But even though the fire fighters fought a heroic battle, and got rescued yderkonstruktionen of the church as well as a number of irreplaceable relics, is the destruction still evident.
the Residents of Paris in shock
As a knife in the heart
Catherine and Bernard Fantoli, pensioners, parisianere
the married Couple of Catherine and Bernard are standing in silence and consider Notre Dame. In contrast to the many others along the banks of the river Seine, facing the cameras and pointing curiously. A tear trills along the Bernards cheek and Catherine tries to comfort him.
- It is like a knife in the heart. She is our history and identity. She is Frankrigsstolthed, says Bernard, before he is forced to pull a little away in attempt to hide the tears.
- today cries he. Yesterday it was me, " says Catherine, who tells, to the Monday night prayed for the firemen.
- We hope the here tragedy ends with, to bring people closer together. We have a need for.
Fear of crime
- I cycled here today, to see it with my own eyes. It is not to believe. When I saw the pictures of Notre Dames two towers last night I got unpleasant memories of the 11. september, explains Rafael Bared.
- Fortunately, no one was killed here.
Like many others, doubt Rafael Bared that the fire is supposed to have arisen as a result of an accident.
- I fear, it is the criminals who are behind. How else would it be able to happen with all the security that is around the cathedral? But no matter what, we are going to travel us stronger and more tightly knit.
Disrespectful not to come
I was going to have to see it with my own eyes. It is completely unbearable. Notre Dame was the first thing I saw when I came to Paris 18 months ago, tells Molly Jackson at the Seine's edge to the Extra Blade.
The young au pair followed the Monday night inferno at a distance through media coverage and felt day then forced to arnetstedet.
- It would be disrespectful for Paris not to take down and honor the church. It is more than just a building for the people here
most of The church roof is the crash together. Only the scorched scaffolding from which workmen, until recently, worked on the restoration of the historic edifice, stands back.
The once colourful mosaics and is black of the soot and the pictures of Notre Dames majestic spirs collapse stands forever indprintet on parisernes retinas.
Though a French billionaire has offered to throw hundreds of millions of euros for the reconstruction of the cathedral, and the Russian president Vladimir Putin also has offered France the financial help, it seems there is far to mighty Notre Dame again towering the whole of the urban city.