The 20 clubs, who play in the best English football, the Premier League, have together declared themselves as opponents of a new structure in the Champions League and other european club competitions.
The typing of the Premier League on its website.
- All clubs are unanimously agreed that it is inappropriate that the european fodboldorganer make plans that would change the structure, calendar and competitiveness in the national tournaments, and we will work together to protect the Premier League, says, among other things.
the Criticism comes after the chairman of the European Club Association (ECA), Andrea Agnelli, last week announced that the organization is working to change the UEFA club competitions from 2024.
the Changes coming supposedly to mean that there must be played more matches.
Among other things they are working on that in the Champions League must be an up - and nedrykningsspil, while the ECA also wants that Champions League matches must be played in the weekend in order to get more viewers.
But it will Premier League clubs not to be, as they believe that it goes beyond the national league.
- We have a great combination of competitive soccer and committed fans, which we will defend to the utmost.
- We will now work together with the FA (The English Football association, red.) and the other leagues to ensure that the european fodboldorganer understand the importance of this and their obligation to maintain sound and sustainable national football leagues, is there on the website.
The English clubs are backed up by the deputy secretary-general of the European League (the federation of european professional football leagues), Alberto Colombo.
- We will always protect our weekends. We will not allow the european klubkonkurrence be played in the weekends.
- Fodboldfansenes passion is driven by the local football and their tradition of going to the stadium with family and friends on Saturday and Sunday, he says to news agency Reuters.
All the English clubs are behind the criticism. Photo: Ritzau Scanpix
Sports and Games The 11 youngest goal scorers in the Superliga-the story