The little hot-headed spray that can blind its victims for up to half an hour, can now become a fixture in the Danish home.
From the first of January 2019 is it legal to have a pepper spray at home if you are over 18 years of age.
One of those who is happy for this change in the law and in the future will have a pepper spray, 23-year-old Maria Bruun Sørensen, who lives with his girlfriend and dog in an apartment in Odense.
- I have actually already ordered a pepper spray. My dad has gotten a hold of one that could get to me, so I have a very soon, she says to Ekstra Bladet.
She was not at all in doubt, since the law was passed 11. december. And the reason is clear.
- For me it is very much about security. That feeling of, that if something happens, then one can defend themselves in one way or another.
- When you are a young woman, so there are many things that one can fear. There is, after all, many sexual assaults.
about Obtaining a pepper spray, it must be closed within four walls and should be used only in emergencies, for example, by hjemmerøverier.
Maria, who on a daily basis reading to the social worker, would also like to have pebersprayen with the outside of the home.
- When my girlfriend is on a business trip, and I must go with the dog in the dark, I could like to have a pepper spray with.
She may, however, well understand that it is not legal.
- I can well see that it could be a huge problem in life, if people are full.
It worried her, too, that pebersprays in the future can easily be purchased from dealers.
- It creates a feeling of safety in the home, but also the insecurity outside the home, because others also have it easier to get a hold of one.
A pepper spray can make blind for up to half an hour. Here is one of them, as the police use. Photo: Rasmus Baaner
It was the government and the Danish people's Party, who voted for the bill to allow pepper spray in the home. The alternative, the Unity, the Social democrats, the Radical Left and SF voted against.
the Proposal was adopted despite the fact that both Politiforbundet and The Crime prevention council has warned against legalising pebersprayen.
Chairman of the Politiforbundet have explained to the DR that it requires training to use a pepper spray.
- It is not just to hit a perpetrator, which is not typical. To hit him in the eyes, it requires some training. It also requires that you know what to do, when and if you have the hit in question, says Claus Oxfeldt.
The Crime prevention council is concerned that the violence will escalate with the law, because pepper spray will be more easily accessible.
From the ministry of Justice was the rationale that the mere awareness that one can defend themselves, will lead to increased security in the population.
the FACTS: pepper spray can make a blind in a half an hour
Get an overview what pepper spray contains and how it works:
* pepper spray, also called OC (Oleoresin Capsicum), is related to tear gas - but is much stronger.
* the Content consists of cayenne pepper, or chili, which is mixed in the solvent. It is filled in an aerosol can, containing the propellant that helps the can's contents out in a thin beam.
* pepper spray can hit up to between six and seven meters distance.
* A can of pepper spray contains about two million Scoville Heat units, which is a device to measure the fruits and vegetables in strength.
* Thus corresponds pebersprayens strength approximately the strength of the world's strongest chili. A strong, thai the right measure typically between 50 to 200 on the Scoville scale.
* Gets one hit by the pepper spray in the face, it leads to acute pain in the eyes and on the skin, lacrimation and floats from the nose, difficulty in breathing, cough, general discomfort in the body as well as involuntary blinks or closing of the eyes.
* the Water reduces the effect faster.
* When a person is hit by the spray, he or she is in most cases unable to orient themselves and are forced therefore to abandon any attack or show physical resistance.
* Blindheden goods in about a half hour. The general discomfort disappear typically completely after two hours, and the spray does not provide permanent damage.
* the Police have since 1. January 2008 had the pepper spray as a regular part of their equipment.
Source: Nordisk Tidsskrift for Kriminalvidenskab, Legaldesk.dk, guinnessworldrecords.com.read more Close
There are two types of pepper spray. A sends a mist out like a hairspray. The risk of it is that you easily can get the mist in your eyes. The other is a gel, which affects more concentrated. It is harder to hit the eyes with.
Mary's father has ordered the gelebaserede to her. She has not, however, intend to practice in to use it, as she did not hope that she's going to need it.
- It is just nice to have, for example, I can hear that someone is going to break into, I can say: 'I have pepper spray!' And it will hopefully get them to give up.
Maria's pepper spray going to be left in the cabinet by the front door out of children's reach and behind a closed door.