notification to the Swedish work environment authority on violence and threats against pupils and teachers has gradually increased from 2012. In Stockholm county the figure was then 70 notifications, 2018 had risen to 171. But according to the Swedish work environment authority, it is not possible to conclude that the violence and threats has increased.
– That the notifications increases may be due to the larger extent follows the work environment act and the register, which we at the Swedish work environment authority, of course, will be happy for this, " says Kristian Hansson.
linked to violence and threats against staff within the school has increased over the years, but that might have something to do with the dulling from the teachers ' side, that they have become accustomed with the use of physical violence and violation.
He tells us that supervision was carried out between 2013 and 2016 when the Swedish work environment authority looked at just violence and intimidation in primary and secondary schools. One could then conclude that there are significant shortcomings in the preventive work and that it is mainly where schools need to be better in order to reduce threats and violence.
" we must raise the questions and discuss in the workplace, how it looks at our school? What kind of situations we end up in and what do you do when such things occur? The staff must have the knowledge and the routine and know what to do if they become victims. It is also important that the municipalities and the politicians take their responsibility and ensure that schools have the conditions and resources to carry on the work environment.Lotta Edholm (L) is skolborgarråd in the city of Stockholm. Photo: Beatrice Lundborg
in the city of Stockholm. She looks very serious on the Swedish work environment Authority's statistics and says that she believes that the figures well reflect the reality.
– It is probably rather the case that there are a number of unreported cases. When we do surveys and asks students in our annual survey, we see a sharp deterioration when it comes to this user in the lessons and it's probably an indicator that the numbers are correct. This is not something you should try to talk away.
She says while it may be that anmälningsbenägenheten has increased – but it may be a sign that previously reported for a little bit.
– There need not stand opposed to each other. Anyway, that is each threat, and violence is a threat to the very in the Swedish school. All children should feel safe at school and parents should feel safe sending their children to school.
– It is difficult to answer. But I think there is an uncertainty among teachers about what actions you can take. And a uncertainty about that from the policy side support – which we do.
It is also Ragnar Sjölander, president of the Teachers ' Association in Stockholm city, inside. He argues that there is a large uncertainty in the corps about what teachers dare to do. He believes that it stems from the fact that the legislation is not entirely clear as regards the powers.
– My impression is that the violence and threats has increased. And it is a totally different job today as a teacher to prevent potential violent incidents and to meet one that acts out violently pupils. Vuxenrespekten has diminished and there is a great deal of uncertainty among teachers about what they really may do in order to maintain order and determine, among other things, when it comes to physical be able to reject disruptive students from the classroom.
writes the Teachers ' Association in the city of Stockholm that they consider that there is a need for greater clarity from the department of education with regard to measures against threats and violence. Lotta Edholm says that measures have been taken and that the education committee has given mandate to the management to produce common guidelines when it comes to security and study environment in the school.
– They apply to all schools and make it clear how the schools will use disciplinary measures, it should not matter what school you go to.
in Addition to the common guidelines, the management also take up something they call förväntansdokument. It shall be addressed to the parents and among other things, talk about what responsibility they have in the among other things, how they raise their children, and the attitude children will have towards the school.
– The third is that from a political perspective shows that we stand behind the schools and the principals when they use the disciplinary measures and show that we think it is good, it is an important signal, " says Lotta Edholm.
Read more: Lågaffektivt treatment led to the increase of violence and threats in school
Read more: Violence and abuse at school – the municipality is sentenced to miljonvite