Before the new year 2010 fireworks injuries each year up to more than 40 Finnish. On average, eye injuries happen to less than 30.
the law change after the last six years requiring hospital treatment injuries has been an average of 12-15 years. A change in the law and the safety glasses I use to have proven to be the most effective way to reduce injuries. The remaining amount is, however, not got rid of in any way, to say eye specialist and Huch eye clinic professor, chief physician Tero Kivelä .
the law reform and education even after the new year's night is an exception to the day when Huch eye clinic staff on duty on the spot through the night. At other times, at night on call from home and are, where necessary, on site within the hour.
the goggles I use have been able to prevent and mitigate injuries, at least for those who self-ilotulittaa. About 40% of the disabled is, however, passers-by and onlookers.the dam for injuries
fireworks accidents highlighted the fact that the rocket to shoot the maimed have a preponderance of men, considered as a disability in the again emphasized in the proportion of women.
– In fireworks when dealing with the eye injuries treated only every twentieth is used goggles. Safety glasses would be in many cases at least, reducing injuries, although would not have them completely stop me not, Kivelä says.
the preponderance of the fireworks next to the followed and the injured have been sufficiently safe distance away.
Injuries are caused, inter alia, faulty products, which are after launch turned to a couple of meters from a height horizontally, and have not been flying upward toward heaven, Kivelä says.
law reform in 2009-2010 was withdrawn from the market most injuries caused by individual products.
– after That there hasn't been any sort of individual fireworks, which would have caused a particular injury, Kivelä says.
Although the year 2010 started advertising security most especially dams.
They were in a sense safer that trigger when the sky sent many rockets in one trigger, and a cauldron to pour as easily. Years have however shown that they have caused injuries in the same way as a rocket, too, Kivelä says.the Shooting to the professionals?
Faulty Komet Bomb 3:no accidents caused by the end of the 1990s Kivelä remember well.
It also caused the facial and other fractures, not solely because of injuries.
as the Only way to get rid of pretty much all eye injuries, Kivelä keep it, that private people would stop shooting fireworks and they would use only professionals of municipalities, associations and clubs organised by the screenings.
– individuals fireworks ban which has been launched in the name of gathering citizens ' initiative, Kivelä pointed out.
the eye doctor associations share of fireworks injuries caused by severity mild, moderate and serious injury.
– Serious means, that the accident has left permanently impaired vision, or require eye surgery. As well as the mild to the severe cases is any accident quarter, the vast majority are so moderate.
Kivelä, almost every year will be against at least one case where a child is injured on new year's day, when it is tried to ignite the terrain left over from the fireworks and unexploded fireworks.
– the Kids have to look so long, until the terrain is properly cleaned up, he stressed.Moderate injury: contusion and bellows tongue-shaped incision in the surface of the eye, which does not pierce the eye. HUCH Ophthalmology clinic moderate injuries: eyelid and silmäruhje rocket song a hit, the blood inside the eye. HUCH Ophthalmology clinic mild injury: powder spray, ihohaava nose on the base. HUCH Ophthalmology clinic elina, 25, bought a life first fireworks: blast to the face to blind the second eye.