Once affected the cancer in the throat and almonds of the men in the retirement age, which for many of them had smoked and drunk all life.
How is it not more. A new study from copenhagen university hospital shows that the vast majority of today get the serious diagnosis, because they have previously been infected with the hpv virus.
- Denmark is with the UNITED states and Canada, become a højrisikoland in relation to cancer of the throat. In the Nordic countries it is only Sweden that surpasses us, says professor, doctor Christian von Buchwald, who is the leader of the research project.
Along with colleagues, he has researched well 2200 patients in the east of denmark in the years from 2000 to 2017. Average for the 18 years of the disease may with 55 percent related to the virus.
But the trend is growing year by year, and in 2017 was hpv the cause of 75 percent. At the same time, patients younger.
Previously, patients were typically elderly with comorbidities such as copd and cardiovascular diseases.
- today, it is otherwise healthy, who have taken time off from work to go to the doctor. They are sore throat or, the brand has a small knot, says Christian von Buchwald.
the Hpv virus is sexually transmitted through the mucous membranes, and once it hits more, so that due to the changed sex habits.
- the Cause is probably an earlier sexual debut and multiple partners. 1968-the environment plays enough of a role, he says.
Mundsvælgkræft is a serious disease, which requires treatment with surgery and radiation. Many sheep genes the rest of his life.
It can several prevented if hpv vaccination becomes widespread, points out the researchers. Today, given the free for all girls up to the age of 18 years. With a few exceptions, applies the same offer only for boys until 12 years of age.
Therefore calls on researchers to the fact that more boys are offered free vaccination.
That desire is supported by the Danish Cancer society, where the chief physician and project manager Janne Bigaard believe that boys and girls should be assimilated. Thus would all the boys up to 18 years of age could be vaccinated for free.
- We are contacted by many parents who are rightly confused, because the rules are different depending on when the baby is born.
- In some classes there are some boys who can be vaccinated free of charge, but others are dependent on their parents will pay.
the Hpv vaccine is in addition to cervical cancer approved to prevent analkræft and genital warts. But it is not yet approved to prevent cancer in mundsvælget.
Therefore, the Board does not recommend vaccination for this purpose, it shall inform the agency in an email.