the Development on the Swedish gaming market goes at a breakneck speed since it was released at the end of the year. At least 60 european bookmakers have received a Swedish license for their nätkasinon.
the Unique numbers that DN posted earlier shows that only during the first month of the new law lost Swedish player 1.6 billion to gaming companies.
" In their advertising targeting gaming companies on the psychological mechanisms that are the most addictive. The game that is evolving the fastest is nätkasinon where you can play without to have the money and get bonuses. It is very problematic, like Anders Håkansson.
in addiction at Lund university and one of the country's foremost experts on gambling addiction. As a consultant, he meets the patients who are stuck in an addiction that they want to get rid of.
– Both people with high and with low risk for addiction is exposed continuously for the games ' advertising for nätkasinon. Those who, for example, ended up in a life crisis is usually more vulnerable, as are young people who quickly run the risk to get stuck in the most addictive of all gambling, continues Anders Håkansson.Anders Håkansson, professor of addiction at the university of Lund. Photo: Daniel Costantini
He says that the impression of the games ' advertising is that it is essentially free to play, although it is not explicitly stated.
– it is possible To play without having money, promised bonuses and so-called free spins enhances the image of that gambling really doesn't cost anything. The advertising is based on speed, that is to say, a quick registration if you want to start playing, and that the winnings are paid out directly – maybe within five minutes.
the mechanisms in the brain that are triggered in time when we become addicted, points out Anders Håkansson. Think about if you can really afford to play, how big the chances of winning is, natural breaks in the game ... everything that prevents a depending counteracted effectively by spelreklamen, " he says.
If we compare with the alcohol - and drug addiction is självmordsdödligheten roughly equal among compulsive gamblers. It is important to highlight.
in the Past, Anders Håkansson researched about addicted to alcohol and drugs, but also worked as a consultant with individuals who are abusing drugs. He has also gästforskat in this area in the Spanish Barcelona.
– Both, is my response. The abuse of drugs and alcohol it often takes the body a beating, the physical effects are central. But there are also significant similarities between this group and patients who are addicted to gambling.
Addiction is the first might be able the recognition that there is no substance involved. It depends on the state of knowledge in this area is good with a solid research foundation.
" There is a kriteriebaserad diagnosis, that is to say that a person must meet certain criteria to be considered gambling. The most important, is the loss of control.
A player can go in with the notion that ”I'll play for this much” or ”I can afford to lose this much”. But then the control is lost and the person goes over the border, playing for more than hen imagined.Advertising for the game in the Stockholm metro. Photo: Elin Åberg
– the Person continues to play despite the awareness that the behaviour is negative. The behavior repeats itself time after time and lead to problems in everyday life, in daily life.
this differs from persons who may also be playing away a lot of money, but stop when it has gone too far. They might be taking a pause in the playing, or stop completely to play and take the consequences of their actions.
that result in a degraded personal finances. The relationship to the family is often affected negatively, as well as how it works on the job. Feelings of guilt, and a feeling of hopeless when you think about doing that many a gambling addiction takes their life or are considering doing it, " says Anders Håkansson.
Recently, he and researchers at Lund university a register study that shows that people diagnosed with addiction more often take their own lives than the population at large. The mortality rate is fifteen times higher. The study is based on registry data from the Swedish national patient registry and the registries, and says nothing about the causal relationship behind the numbers.
– If we compare with alcohol dependence and drug addiction is självmordsdödligheten roughly equal among compulsive gamblers. It is important to highlight, " says Anders Håkansson.
the Women who play are looking to nätkasinon, which is the most addictive. It can be a reason why more and more women are seeking help, and a sign that more women are playing.
Mental ill health increases the risk of suicide. But there are also components linked to the actual gambling that leads to suicidal thoughts and actual suicide: economic crisis, feelings of guilt toward relatives, feelings that everything is hopeless and that there is no salvation, according to Anders Håkansson.
" the Outlook appears to be dark. The debt you accumulated will not go to pay back and what the person is doing so it works not. This adds to the thoughts that there is no point to live.
– the Answer is often, but not always. Many people can develop an addiction without suffering from mental illness. It is important to stress.
the Recently unveiled state the national public health Institute a study on the Swedish people's gambling. It shows that fewer are playing for money, but that the total turnover still on the increase. Gambling on the internet is increasing a lot because of nätkasinonas rapid growth.
– fewer plays but more often and more seriously. It is a serious matter if the gambling is concentrated to people who already play a lot and who have multiple risk factors for to get caught up in an addiction. The damage would be less if many play a little.
Folkhälsomyndighetens study also showed that there are now as many women as men who have severe gambling problems, in addition to in the group 18-24 years, where the men still dominate.
" We have looked at people who seek treatment for gambling addiction here in Skåne. Women who play are looking to nätkasinon, which is the most addictive. It can be a reason why more and more women are seeking help, and a sign that more women are playing.Photo: Britt-Mari Olsson
in their research focused on just nätkasinon, which today dominates the market more and more.
Traditionally, gambling has been linked to male patterns of play, that is to say, to the to games that attracts men. As live betting and other games of result in, among other football matches. It is unique in that as many women as men are gambling, both internationally and in Sweden before, historically, " says Anders Håkansson.
Read more: DN:s reportage about Christine and her gambling addiction
– Half of those who are looking for here in Skåne have another psychiatric diagnosis, that is to say, there is a psychiatric comorbidity. The picture is mixed. Some come from good families and have a job, while some have other problems, perhaps in combination with the abuse of alcohol or drugs.
– A conclusion we have drawn is that everyone can suffer from a gambling addiction.
" Yes, but it is unclear what is the cause of it. From 1 January 2018, have county councils and the municipalities have an obligation to help people with gambling addiction. Therefore, we do not know whether it is an actual increase or if people who had not previously sought help now does it. There are also new clinics, more trained personnel around the country that can capture the state of dependence.
– Yes, the national Board of health has good guidelines. What works is cognitive behavioral therapy. Such can be done individually or in a group, it is a structured therapy that is 'hands-on' and where the focus is to find strategies to prevent relapse, that is to say, to show the mechanisms that have driven the patient to play, and how he should handle them.
" of Motivational interviewing can also be used to get a person with a gambling addiction actually initiate a treatment.
" Yes." Before 2018, there were only a few activities around the country who worked structured and had clear routines. Now it has spread all over the country, but unevenly. It is harder to build up business in a small municipality than in a storstadslandsting.
" Yes, I wish more people in the care would take up the issue of gambling addiction with their patients – even if they don't work with this particular. As a form of snabbscreening.
the Staff at the health centers has today learned that they should take up the possible abuse of alcohol and drugs when they encounter a patient who is doing poorly psychologically. It should also include gambling addiction, with occasional questions about the gambling about the money, says Anders Håkansson. Likewise, should employees within the social services take up the issue when someone is seeking assistance, income support and housing benefit.
the Study ”Gambling disorder, increased mortality, suicidality, and associated comorbidity: A longitudinal nationwide register study” has been published in the Journal of Behavioral Addictions.
the Swedes played away 1.6 billion during the first month with the new spellagen
Therefore attracted the brain of the games on the nätkasinon
Spelproblemen increases – women hardest hit