Many years of discussion is definitely. It should be legal for regular people to own a pepper spray.
Already in the beginning of the new year, you can go to a dealer and buy a pepper spray, as one can have standing in the home.
In august spoke Extra Leaf with the 17-year-old Melanie Birkbak, who had a hairspray lying in my bag, which she could use instead of a pepper spray, if she was attacked.
She has now acquired a real pepper spray, and though it is not legal to have it in public so, she is glad that there will be a relaxation of legislation. Anyway, she can well understand the problems that that can be by making the pepper spray more accessible.
- I think it is a good idea, but at the same time, it can end up in the wrong hands, for there are some who do not want to use it to defend themselves.
- I know that there are many women, who are going with it, even though it really is illegal. There is a risk to go with it, but you are also just going to have to be able to protect themselves in one way or another.
Breaking the law and going with a pepper spray in public, then, according to the president of the Politiforbundet, Claus Oxfeldt, be aware that it can escalate the situation, if you will defend against a potential perpetrator.
- I don't blame anyone, I'm just saying that if you use pepper spray against a potential perpetrator, and hit the offender, then there is still a risk that he reacts more intense than he had otherwise intended to do, says Claus Oxfeldt.
Melanie decide to have his pepper spray with him, because she feels more comfortable with it. She is convinced that a pepper spray would also be beneficial to have in the home during a hjemmerøveri.
- I think certainly. A pepper spray injuries also, of course, but it is very mild compared to being stabbed with a knife, she says.
--------- SPLIT ELEMENT ---------Danish people's Party: - We should not have american modes
the Danish people's Party has for several years campaigned for a relaxation in the våbenloven, which should make it possible for regular people to acquire a pepper spray. Photo: Jens Dresling
the Bill met with criticism in several submissions from, among other things Politiforbundet and The Crime prevention Council, but got anyway political support enough to be adopted.
Politiforbundet expressed criticism of the bill in their submissions, because among other things, they believe that it can be to escalate dangerous situations for the Danish cops.
- In relation to our use of force, so we need to stand in front of even more potential perpetrators with pepper spray.
- We must always think of safety, and if we are being pacified with pepper spray, then it's a violent situation, we suddenly stand in, says the Chairman of the Politiforbundet Claus Oxfeldt to Ekstra Bladet.
He does not believe that it is only the Danish cops who are potentially vulnerable.
- the Concern goes also in the direction of the citizens. That it might have a false sense of security. You risk to be in a situation where you yourself go over the edge because of the pepper spray, because you are in the small space, he says.
the Danish people's Party has for several years campaigned for a relaxation of the våbenlovgivningen, which should make it possible for people to own a pepper spray.
Spokesman for the Danish people's Party Peter Kofod Poulsen is very pleased that the bill has now been approved.
- the Number of hjemmerøverier has been declining, so why have you chosen to implement it now?
- Because we think it is basic sense. Pepper spray is probably the mildest defense weapons, one can imagine. The alternatives, as the danes have in their home today, they will be much harder and have far greater consequences.
- Some critics believe that this is a slippery slope towards more weapons. Is that it?
- No. This is not the case. We have been to tighten up against both firearms and stab, and for us this is not a slippery slope. We should not have american conditions in Denmark.
- A point of criticism from Politiforbundet was that it can be potentially dangerous for the Danish cops, more criminals have access to pepper spray?
- The people who could find it, they probably already have a pepper spray in the day. They can be purchased in large extent both in the south and over the internet. So the wrong people will already have them, and if you want to harm the police, which, unfortunately, there is someone who does, then you will already be able to acquire weapons that are more far-reaching than pepper spray.
- What about those who already go with a purse. You will encourage them to continue with it, or should they leave it at home?
- You must comply with the laws of the country.
- there is then a more lenient legislation which gives them the law to have it in the bag?
- It is a good question. If you ask me, then yes. That, I think, will be fine enough. But I also have an understanding that we should try it here to see what the effect will be, says Peter Kofod Poulsen to Ekstra Bladet.