Large parts of the Notre Dame - one of Paris's major landmarks - is on Monday night turned into ash. The tower and the whole roof is collapsed.
- Everything burns, says the Other Finot, who is the church's spokesman.
City residents have followed the drama. Many have with tears, expressed their sadness that a building that is so closely linked to French culture, may no longer be there.
- I'm sad this evening to see this part of ourselves go up in flames, says the president of Emmanuel Macron.
He has on Monday night visited the church, and it was a very determined president, who was briefed on the devastation.
Photo: Ritzau Scanpix
Author: Christian Dark has an apartment in Paris, and he tells that it is the history of the world that burns.
- The small island where Notre Dame cathedral is located, is the old roman city, where you built Paris, and later built in France. It will say that the kvadratmetre, that burn out now, is the hotbed and the beginning of the year.
- It means that it is there, where France was born, as we see the burn. Therefore, it is very strong for all the people of france and also for world heritage. It is not just a building, it is living history.
He compares the loss of Notre Dame with how it would be if both the round Tower, Amalienborg palace and Tivoli gardens stood in the flames.
- Imagine that the round Tower, Amalienborg palace and Tivoli gardens burns down to the ground at the same time. Think of how you would have it, and then you have it roughly, as the French have it right now.
- To see the church spire fall down in the flames is a huge thing for me to see. What we are witnessing is something irreplaceable that will be lost. It is not just a building. Of course it's stone, wood and mortar, but it is a symbol of all of France's civilization. To see it burn down, it should just swallow once. It is a very intense thing to see.
the Cathedral's spire crashed in flames, when they got fat. Video: Ritzau Scanpix.
the Church was being renovated. Large scaffolding surrounding the edifice. Therefore, assume that the fire has arisen in connection with the work that was started.
the Fire broke out at 18.50, and it spread with great speed and great intensity. The government informs that no one is hurt during the fire.
Images from the French tv showed a little earlier, that the tower was engulfed in flames, and it burned the under part of the roof. Thick smoke was pouring up from the historic edifice, which every year visited by millions of people.