the Qualification round at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya was not as good as the Haas team had hoped for after Friday's positive training hours.
Romain Grosjean found himself right in the car, after the power unit and the gearbox required a change, and Kevin Magnussen were disturbed by Daniil Kvyat on his first attempt and a big traffic jam on the other.
Haas, the duo starts therefore as 16’and 17’is Sunday.
The 27-year-old dane was a little annoyed, en Ekstra Bladet spoke with him.:
Q2 was possible, and who knows, when it is so close. I was in the mix, but ended up just on the wrong side of various reasons.
- It was not a good position, but we were a second from the fastest time (in Q1); and it is the closest the field has been in years. There is not much to.
the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya is notoriously difficult to overtake on and while harsh at the tires. The toughest type of break the drivers however, is not on, and it is slow compared with the other options.
Pirelli assesses different variants of the two-stoppere as the best choice.
Haas is forced to gamble in order to achieve the points.
- To get in the top ten will be a tough task from our starting position. The course is hard on tires, and you can't really overtake, so if you can run a one-stop, it will be good, but I don't know if anyone is capable of it, says Kevin Magnussen.
- It will be very difficult and will require something special to achieve it.
Formula 1 - 15. aug. 2020 - pm. 12:29 Put the skin up for grabs
team boss Günther Steiner hope that the good bars from the træningerne show up in the race.
- Our option is to transfer the good momentum in løbstrim, which we simulated on Friday. Hopefully we get a good start and are not caught in the big traffic jam, for it is not easy to overtake here, he says to Ekstra Bladet.
- the tyre wear in the heat can be high. Hopefully it's not us, it hits.
Teammanager Pete Crolla and Kevin Magnussen were at the stewards twice during the day on Saturday, but it didn't change anything at the starting location on Sunday.
Alpha Tauris Daniil Kvyat got off with a warning to block Kevin Magnussens first attempt during the timing.
- Kvyat was very late to know that I came. As running I know how little one can see and how difficult the situations are. He tried to do what he could to get out of the way, when he found out that I was there. I blame him nothing; it was just a late radiobesked from the team, says the dane.
See also: Crash: - Oh, Magnussen braked
See also: Unexpected help to the Haas
In the third training crash Renault Esteban Ocoña behind Kevin Magnussen in a bizarre situation. Judges and riders agreed that it was an accidental mishap.
- Ocoña was told by his team that I was on a flying lap, what I was not. I had just finished one, so he let me pass through turns three. We got traffic behind, so I drove by the line to let them come because, and so did he. He then just down at the wrong time and was surprised how close he came at me, " explains Magnússon.
the Rear wheels locked, and Ocoña ended up in the wall. But the frenchman took it completely quiet afterwards. He had been told that Haas-the driver was on a quick lap.
- No problems. Kevin is a good mate, he says.
Sports and Games Watts: - I have changed my mind
Sports and Games Debriefing from the Uk: Suspicion against Haas: - Pure nonsense!
Sports and Games Debriefing from Silverstone: Healthy signs in Haas