In these days, reveals the conflict about working conditions for public employees.
- But, despite the fact that I, as a nurse really experiencing a general solidarity and support from 'society', so encounter I every now and then still on the people, there is no insight or understanding when it comes to how savings actually HAS a direct influence and impact on my everyday life as a nurse.
- And therefore I want to share a story.
so begins the nation's! Ida's letter to be a nurse in a overenskomsttid. Ida's has about 14.000 kr paid per month for the 36 hours she works per week in the changing of the guards (including the guard every 2 hours. weekend), but it is not the wages she is focusing on. It is secondary in relation to the lack of care, the care and treatment she can provide - or rather NOT make, because she's missing colleagues.
- I am a nurse and is employed at a hospital in Denmark (a ward).
- In my thesis, patients are usually very, very bad, and we receive both elective and acute patients.
- the Other day I had a night shift, where I alone held the responsibility for 7+ patients.
the Department on the opposite side had also only one nurse for the night, so even though it is nice to be able to spar with a colleague, so we are limited in what we can really use each other to when we can't leave our respective 7+ patients longer periods of time.
- Personally, night shifts of the guards in the day, I care least about. - It is perhaps hard to believe, but there are actually relatively much activity on the ward at night, when many patients are experiencing inner turmoil, pain, sleep apnea, anxiety, respiratory failure and other physiological (and mental) symptoms after 'bedtime'.
- at the same time, so get more patients soporific and sedative medication at. 22, which means that in addition to the patients ' physiological and/or cerebral effects caused by the basic disease, so must the nurse be able to separate the ordinary deep sleep from the potential acute life-threatening awareness and kredsløbspåvirkning.
- And therefore it can be hugely utrygt responsible for so many patients on your own since you, as you know, can't be two places at one time.
And then there are all the practical tasks that need to be rearranged, before the dagvagten meetings.
- As I said, I was the other night alone with 7+ patients, and it could be felt.
- in Particular, it could be marked, as I ended up in the situation, which I fear most; that a patient becomes acutely bad, while I'm alone in the guard. - This meant that I had to be physically present inside the patient's room and constantly monitor his vital values (and at the same time, the telephone call forvagten), while I in all the stress and adrenaline could hear patientklokken rings, as well as the sound of violent coughing from one of the other ones.
- It was a very utrygt moment for me as the charge nurse, and I would to have wished that I had had an extra hand that night, writes ida, who hopes that her simple report of fact, can illustrate how it 'seriously affects the working environment and patient safety that Health care is subject to the one saving after another.'
Before you comment, you can also read about the nurses Dorthe (17.400 paid) and Katharina(18.500 paid) that shows their paychecks and would like more in salary.