In the fall received a total of around 2,500 pupils in Stockholm's schools in particular support figures show that DN requested. It is 3.8 per cent of all of the 66.000 students, and significantly fewer than the national average of 5.3 per cent. The proportion of pupils who receive adapted course of study has been more than halved during the same period, from 701 to 308 students.
Stockholm is one of the municipalities that do not provide the particular support even though it is in the education act. That the city provides the students with the ”extra adjustments” is not enough if they miss the pass in the subjects, says Christian Wettergren, the initiator of the Project and in particular the support within the network of Children in need.
notified the city of Stockholm to the Swedish schools Inspectorate. Its report specialkörda data from the Swedish national agency for Education shows that the 211 students in the hill 2017 that have not had access to secondary education, nor do they receive any special support at the high school.
– Despite the fact that you know that the children are not doing well at school already in sixth grade, it allows the city the students go throughout high school without extra support and no secondary power – it is a clear violation of the education act. It is just the tip of the iceberg, if we count in all grade levels so involved thousands of students, " says Christian Wettergren.
the Swedish schools inspectorate has after the alarm started, a directional supervision of the department of education.
"We have requested an opinion from the city of Stockholm and will now decide if, and in such case how, we can proceed with the tasks," says Felicia Pettersson, investigator at the Swedish schools Inspectorate.
scored thirty penalties on special assistance but never had to pay a penalty for having fixed the problem. Why support declined sharply since the start of 2015 mean the city and partly due to an amendment of the education act 2014 and that the focus is that all classrooms should be accessible for all students.
– If the pupil receiving support within the extra adjustments is adequate as needed no decision on special support. Our starting point is that, from the outset, adapting the classrooms to the different disabilities and plan their teaching according to students 'needs," says Lee Orberson, grundskoledirektör.
Extra customization could be simpler changes like clearer instructions, technical aids or adapted study materials, while specific support is about the individual tuition, special education teacher or the adapted course of study.
continuously working to develop the support. Now you should extend the stadsövergripande specific learning groups with 25 seats and set up four knowledge hub to support schools and training of staff in the neuropsychiatric disabilities.
"We are not satisfied until all students reach the objectives, but we look to work with additional adjustments gives results, both the percentage with privileges to vocational programmes and the average merit rating has increased," he says.
– The, the possibility is there, but we have never received the penalty for the particular support. It's great that the school Inspectorate makes a trial, and an important signal for us. But it is difficult to judge from the statistics at the individual level draw far-reaching conclusions. It may be that the school has not reported the action programme with special support or additional adjustments have been made in the place, nor do we know how many are newly arrived.
– No, this is not so. It is about the learner's needs in relation to curriculum objectives. However, it may be that with a diagnosis it can be clearer to the school the root cause, but the starting point is that diagnosis is not a condition for whether additional adaptation or special support, " says Lee Orberson.
schools in the country problems with specific support. Many people lack a functioning pupil welfare, have poor knowledge about what support is needed and, above all, put the poms out of time.
– Percentage of pupils who receive special support are the highest in grade nine, but then it is many times too late. According to the statistics, decreases the proportion between grade six and seven, which can be about the change of teacher or school. The students that the school should pay particular attention to will be the losers in the exchanges, " says Ulrika Lundqvist, head of unit at the Swedish national agency for Education.
specific support is also one of the few efforts in the school that go to appeal.
– If the school is afraid that the student will not achieve the requirements you should put into action in time. There should be a programme of action and you can appeal both the content and that it is not drawn up an action programme, " says Ulrika Lundqvist.
Read more: ”I am a great problem which I will solve.”