Since the cruise ship 'Viking Sky' got engine problems in severe weather off Norway's coast on Saturday afternoon, should the crew be quiet, visible, and show authority.
It says Michael Hansen, who teaches at Simac in crisis management and human behavior.
Out from the pictures and videos Michael Hansen has seen since the accident on Saturday afternoon, he is very confident about the crew's handling of the passengers.
- It is clear that when something unexpected happens, then people feel uncomfortable. The ancestors not, after all, where the good stability, which is in a ship. In this situation, the crew screening of passengers and investigate who has a special need to be reassured, he says.
Furniture and other equipment flew around inside the ship.
He believes that the captain has made the right choice, and that it's all ran by the book.
- He must take care of its crew and its cargo and to guard against marine pollution. He estimates that the passengers shall leave the ship in the boats that are on board, as it is too dangerous. It is in my eyes the right decision, says Michael Hansen.
Michael Hansen has been a sailor for many years and has even been out for wild weather and high waves. He thinks that it must really much for a ship of that size to fall over.
Ten-meter-high waves are no problem, but I heard that the waves up to 18 metres. It is tremendously, he says.
the Waves went all the way up to 18 metres, says the reports.
the Reports from the Norwegian authorities is that a psycho-social team takes over, when the passenger arrives at Molde.
- the Crew takes care of the acute stresssituation aboard. When they come into the country, and it's all over, so is the human response, that one begins to cry and is shaken. Here the professional team to investigate if the individual needs more help, or maybe just to have a cup of coffee and a hug, says Michael Hansen.
the 112 - 23. mar. 2019 - at. 20:40 Here is hit the cruise ship of monsterbølge
typically It will be the shipping company pay for the subsequent hours at a krisepsykolog, and otherwise will the passengers own insurance clear cost.
Right now it is a national emergency preparedness and volunteers, who accept the passengers. And so far there is great praise for the response from Michael Hansen.
- The, I read in the media, and the pictures I see, shows that you keep the guests gathered in a large room, and there aren't any chaotic scenes. So even though it is a chaotic situation, so it has gone really well, he says.
The stranded passengers gathered in a gymnasium.
In contradiction to the Costa Concordia accident, where 32 people died, he points out that there are made more right decisions.
- There have been a skilled captain, who enters in nature and takes more correct decisions, and so there have been a competent staff, who have made sure to reassure the passengers, he says.
the 112 - 24. mar. 2019 - at. 07:30 Denmark to send helicopters to the evakueringsaktion
the 112 - 24. mar. 2019 - at. 08:50 Danish expert: Close to human tragedy
the 112 - 24. mar. 2019 - at. 08:00 married Couple clinging to the beds: It was really scary