In a market can emotions easily run of with a. You allow yourself to perhaps be captivated by the prospect of a dwelling in the countryside, which can accommodate all your dreams.
Prior to the deal is some questions already on the backbone. When is the roof changed, how is ejerforeningens economy, and which easements are registered on the site?
In the period 2013-2018 the insurance companies have, according to the association of Insurance & Pension had more than 20,000 cases of water damage to private buildings after a flood alone. Therefore, you should remember the critical climate change issues.
It takes Tue Patursson, who is expert in the subject, specialising in climate-proofing of Organic Bolius.
- Nothing can beat the fly in the ointment as water damage in the basement, when you, as a freshly baked house owner thought that you had bought your dream home and asked the right questions to the constitution along the way. Unfortunately, not all before the purchase is asked enough in the of the vulnerabilities, there will be more current, as the climate is changing for the worse, says Tue Patursson.
Photo: Lisbeth Holten
buying a home: advice before you buy your first home
Skyfall is only one among many risk factors. Add to this the threat from rising groundwater, heavy rainfall over a longer period of time and storm surge. There are already examples of that in the coastal areas is an increased awareness of that you, as a boligkøber must be cautious.
In an analysis from the Region of southern denmark is equal to approximately half of the 3.712 respondents, that the risk of flooding is of great importance for the accommodation they choose. It is 10 percent more than in 2012, where you asked the same question.
In a more general survey, YouGov did for ejendomsmæglerkæden Home in 2018, said 80 percent of the danes, that they take flood risk into consideration about which homes they will buy.
do you Know the risk of your home being flooded by torrential rains or storm surge?
Organic Bolius have made a calculator where you can enter your address and get a good bid.
You also get specific advice on how you can ensure your residence when the water coming from the outside.
Find the calculator and check your risk here.
For Tue Patursson, it is important that buyers utilize the seller's obligation to respond honestly to the questions in a trade.
- Ask directly whether the whole or parts of the dwelling has been flooded or had water damage. It is particularly relevant if the dwelling has a basement, which constitutes the ultimate achilles heel in relation to flooding in many homes, states fageksperten.
John Wulff, professional chef and køberrådgiver with the company Købersmægler, confirms, to seller's so-called loyal disclosure is an underestimated tool to uncover the vulnerabilities. He is experiencing a trend that buyers are more interested in whether the home can handle an unstable climate.
- There has come a much greater awareness that the risk for among other things, floods must be taken seriously, when you buy a home as a long term investment, he says.
Both John Wulff and Tue Patursson agree that the direct way to question the seller should be complemented with a parallel detektivindsats. According to Tue Patursson, there are many useful information to be gained by bypassing the seller and its advisor.
Drainage of stormwater and prevention of flooding
- Ask the municipality, if there are some known vulnerabilities in the area, and what, if any, is of plans to climate-proof in the neighborhood. Contact the neighbors and hear them, though they have been plagued by flooding in the area after the cloudburst or prolonged heavy rainfall.
- It can also be a good idea to take the utility company on the council, since they have great insight into the area's sewers and any plans for kloakseparering, sounds the advice from Tue Patursson.
Please also note, that when you are out look at the home. Many of the vulnerabilities that can create the biggest problems, when the weather shows itself from its worst side, can be seen with the naked eye.
- Look not only at whether the roof is nice, and carporten is new. Is home high or on Mosevej for the foot of a hill? Is that slope toward the house, so the water collects near the home? Are there drains in the basement, which can cause problems with backflow in the sewer? Is the home right by a lake or streams, which may run over its banks and create problems?
- asking the right questions does not guarantee that you avoid the floods, but can dress up for to make a decision on an informed basis, says Tue Patursson.
Although your insight hoist the yellow flag, there is no reason to judge a home out in advance. But by being aware, you can ask carefully to what the seller has done to respond to climate-related problems now and in the future.
- Ask loaded omfangsdræn, which can prevent water in the basement. Is that made pumping systems, regnbede or faskiner on the site, so large quantities of rainwater can be handled? A højvandslukke can curb that rising water up through the drain in the basement, so it is also worth asking to recommend Tue Patursson.
not John Wulff believes that the outcome of your efforts to examine the relationship absolutely must give rise to, that you reject it, if it's not perfect.
- If you can afford, and meets your needs, it can easily be real for you, even if it is located in a lavning or in the marsh. What is important is that you make your decision to purchase or not on an informed basis, " says John Wulff.
are you Considering buying a dwelling near the coasts, it is not only rainwater, but also the rising sea and storm surge, that require enhanced care. Fortunately, there is exhaustive information on the areas that are particularly vulnerable.
- Look at the data for the coasts from, for example, the Dca. A storm surge hits not just as arbitrary as the tempest, and it is therefore easier to form an impression by looking at an area's history. Talk with homeowners in the area and the municipality in order to hear how we intend to respond to sea level rise, have Tue Patursson.
Buying a house
Organic Bolius is owned by Realdania.
Organic Bolius is non-commercial and sells neither products nor services.