During the filming of the third season of the DRs 'Deception' actor Thomas Hwan had the opportunity to examine what it means to be a pressed man.
In the new season of dramaserien is Thomas Hwans character, Alf, hard hit by the insomnia and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), as a result of that he has been shot, and at the same time trying Elf to care for his demanding job as an investigator.
And to be able to understand how it feels to be in so violent a life situation, Thomas Hwan, among other things prepared for the role by visiting the persons suffering from PTSD.
He has also spoken with the acquaintances he has who have had it hard psychologically, and so he has partly drawn on its own experience.
- In the series can Alf feel that it is a bad idea to go to work, and that he ought to be at home, but he could not. And I think in reality, we all know. How often exceeds not the limits of what is good for one, to meet something you feel you should, he says.
Thomas Hwan with Johanne Louise Schmidt. Photo: Tariq Mikkel Khan
Film, tv & radio - 20. nov. 2018 - at. 14:20 of Deceased radio host starred in 'Deception': DR cancels recordings
the 36-year-old Thomas Hwan has in periods been working so much that it exceeded the limits of what was good for him.
- The first few years after I came out of drama school, I said yes to everything. I worked full manic almost, and so it has been in periods of time, until my body started to say no, he says.
It was like a physical stress thing, where I got chronic sore in body, sore in the stomach, and I did not dare to go to the doctor and get measured my blood pressure, so maybe I would be hospitalized, says Thomas Hwan.
The feeling he has drawn on in the work with his character.
- All of the first-hand experience, using, of course, because you know the mechanisms.
- I have been in many situations where I have thought, that there was so much more, before I might have ended up in a extreme stress situation, or a depression, so it has not been so difficult to imagine the role, he says.
in the past was Thomas Hwan inclined to ignore the stress symptoms, when they occurred, but today he has been better to feel in his body.
- ten years ago I did not do anything to deal with it. There I worked until I had it so bad and was so stressed out that I almost could not something.
- But after that I have the mark the consequence of it a few times, so I think I have been good to take it in the bud and say: 'I really want to say yes to the job, but now I let be, and so to keep I'm free in the place of', he says.
Thomas Hwan plays the role as the policeman of Alf in the third season of the DR-series 'Deception'. Photo: Bjarne Bergius Hermansen/DR