An irish family got a very unpleasant surprise, after they were checked in in a Greek villa, as they had booked through Airbnb. After spending a night in the villa in Athens, discovered the family, that there were installed eight hidden cameras in all the villa's spaces.
Several of the cameras were equipped with motion sensors and the camera in the bathroom aimed at the toilet, the hot tub and the shower.
It writes the Belfast Telegraph and the Independent.ie, after it recently came to light that a family from New Zealand found a hidden camera in the irish Airbnb home, they had rented.
Harriet Conroy and her husband Paul were together with their two sons, Aaron and Paul Junior, and a friend, in Greece in July last year, where they were going to a relative's wedding.
But already in connection with that they should have the key to the Airbnb-rented luxury villa, got Harriet Convoy is a strange feeling.
- We arrived and the owner said that the key would be in the mailbox, but when we arrived, it was not there, she says.
I phoned him on my mobile, and he said 'go forth into the garden', and I thought to myself, 'it sounds as if we are being watched', she says to the Independent.ie.
The irish woman tells the family the first night and went directly to bed, when they have been very tired, but his son to Aaron the next morning noticed something in the corner in one of the rooms.
- He's quite technical, so he called me and said; 'Try to see'. It was a camera, tells Harriet Convoy.
- We began to crawl across the house. There were cameras everywhere, even on the toilet. It was a large bathroom with a jacuzzi and a sauna, she says.
According to the woman, there were motion sensors attached to several of the cameras, among other things, it is in the bedroom.
There was not a room in the house, which had a camera, she says.
- We knew that we were out of the house. He is so safe with and have seen, that we took pictures of his cameras. We went, as soon as we could, " says Harriet Conroy.
Airbnb has since then suspended the owner of reaching for the luxury villa from the service.
- We take privacy very seriously. As soon as we got knowledge of this, we removed the host from our platform, and paid you back, says an Airbnb spokesperson for the Independent.ie.
Holiday - 29. jan. 2019 - at. 19:33 Airbnb apartment used as hashbule: Sought compensation but was threatened
Although the family got the money back, and the host was suspended, misses the family more action from Airbnb, particularly in the context of the family could not find another place to stay, when it became clear that they could not be in the reaching for the luxury villa.
- We went to my sister and called Airbnb. Customer service was terrible, really bad, says Harriet Conroy.
She agreed, that Airbnb is taking responsibility and doing a more thorough review of their landlords.