Reduced taste and smell, memory loss and difficulty concentrating.
This is some of the late effects that plague patients who have been hospitalized with covid-19 - the disease caused by infection with the coronavirus.
this was stated by The professor and senior physician Lars Østergaard, infectious disease department at Aarhus university Hospital.
It thus comes as no surprise to him, that researchers from University College London have shown the nerve damage and damage in the brain of 43 coronapatienter.
- as we can well recognize.
Our results also show hjernepåvirkning and the influence of the nervous system, " says Lars Østergaard.
infectious disease department has followed 46 patients six weeks after discharge.
13 of them report problems with their taste and sense of smell, and 14 are experiencing difficulty concentrating, fatigue or memory loss.
- We have known that there were issues with reduced taste and smell. But it is new that patients also report difficulty with concentration and memory six weeks after your discharge, " says Lars Østergaard.
The recalls, according to the chief physician about the symptoms you see in people with meningitis (encephalitis, ed.).
- that we're going to follow even more carefully up on. And we will provide a quote on the rehabilitation for the patients, if it becomes necessary.
- that is, the same deals that we would give others, who have had an impact on the brain. For example, persons who have been hospitalized with meningitis, " says Lars Østergaard.
Covid-19 is mainly a respiratory disease that affects the lungs.
But it suggests that the disease also can affect the brain in a group of patients.
- It is a small group of patients, we have examined, and we have no clear basis for comparison to other infections.
- But my sense is that there is something new here, which is essential to get examined further, " says Lars Østergaard.
Professor Jens Lundgren, Rigshospitalet, see the same kinds of hjernepåvirkning in some of the patients, he follows.
The good question is, what makes that you are predisposed to get these late effects.
- We don't know yet if it can run in families through genes, or it may be small blood clots, as we also know, that the disease may trigger, there is cause, he says.
the national board of Health is aware that there may be late effects after covid-19.
- Which can in several weeks be persistent nonspecific symptoms such as fatigue, difficulty concentrating and varying temperaturforhøjelse, which is aggravated by exertion, according to the latest guidelines on the management of the disease.