the Proportion of women in the field of technology in Sweden has been steady the last ten years.
the Year 2018, the percentage of women 28%. Ten years earlier the share was 32 per cent.
the Proportion of female managers, including ceos, in the field of technology last year was 29 per cent. Ten years earlier the proportion was 28 per cent.
On Friday, collected 1500 visitors at the country's largest teknikkonferens ”Women in tech” in Stockholm, sweden. The conference, which is annually held since 2014, to be arranged with the aim to inspire women to choose careers in the technology sector.
when it comes to innovation and technology - but the diversity in the industry is crucial for the future. To the 1 500 tickets sold out in 45 seconds (!) gives an indication on the attractiveness of the combo of women and technology.
– as good as all the studies show that diversity in the team as well as management provides better products and results. But the more equal conditions does not only relate to actors in the field of technology, but indeed the whole of humanity, " says Elin Eriksson, who is the spokesperson for Women in tech.
She believes that the reason that many of the products that we use in everyday life are not suitable for everyone, owing to a lack of diversity in the produktionsleden.
– If only a certain type of people working in teams who write the algorithms, so will other people's characteristics and experiences to be lost. Really serious it will be if a user believes that an artificial intelligence in a system is impartial.
the experts under the same roof is a way to spread the knowledge as well as to promote networking. Not to be in the minority - as women who work in the teknikyrken often is - gives a sense of context, says Elin Eriksson. The conference is a way to provide visitors with an opportunity to connect with future colleagues and to find role models in the industry.Tonima Afroze, Saga Arvidsdotter and Maria Paavola. Photo: Anette Nantell
– What you see in front of you is also easier to become. My impression from previous years is that the mood has been very groovy and bjussig. says Elin Eriksson.
To the field of technology is male-dominated, as well as the non-gender-shows periodic research reports. A new and included a survey from the TEK, Alliance Technology graduates, for example, shows how women in the industry to a greater extent than men experienced that parental leave is a barrier to career progression.
" We have asked the members of the conference on how the situation is for them on the job right now, and over 40 per cent of them have considered leaving the industry. You experience for example that you will be differently treated, as a woman, to not being listened to, not taken seriously and receive lower pay than male colleagues. And to endure sexual humor in the workplace are unfortunately not unusual, " says Elin Eriksson.
and the inequality is the change in time - it shows a number of ongoing initiatives similar to the Women in tech. Backing Minds, Teknikkvinnor and Girls coding are a few of the several companies and networks, including working to get more female investors in the industry and educate women in programming. Mention should also re-launched the ”Female Network Forum” and ”‘Women Transforming Tech”. While the former is an event with the ambition to attract more girls and women to the field of technology which took place in Gothenburg, the latter is the title of a book. In ”‘Women Transforming Tech” parts of the 40 women on the betalningsföretaget Izettle experiences and advice from the field of technology in order to make ”an active attempt to inspire a more equal future”.
Haha, yes it hope we find out in Sarah cooper's speech. In her book ”How to be successful without hurting mens feelings” described a variety of strategies for how to reach the success by using smileys, subordinate themselves, not seem intimidating and just nod and agree with when you happen to be a mansplainer. It is perverse and sarcastic humor in the intersection between technology, kontorsliv and feminism. And much recognition for all who work in open plan offices, " says Elin Eriksson.
– Blockkedjor is the technology behind kryptovalutan bitcoin. But more than the actual money is blockkedjor on to create universal values and skip unnecessary intermediaries, such as banks, in the transactions. But it is an area that extends beyond technology and the economy. On the contrary, requires the development of blockkedjor collaborations with people in culture, philosophy, health, law - yes, it touches on actually all.
– Unfortunately, the knowledge about this technology uses low, but it keeps changing. It is in the public interest to keep up with the developments because it relates to society, the entire underlying structure - it is a technology that affects all of our future.
– Finance and technology are two male-dominated sectors, which I think has to do with it. Generally speaking, Sweden is behind in the bet on blockkedjor, which means that I lecture abroad. And where I meet on far more women who nördat into the same thing as I do.
– With blockkedjor gives you upphovsmakaren the ability to determine the value of the goods and dictate the rules around it. One can say that the technology can transfer power from the big corporations to the creator. For example, the musicians get almost 100% of the streaming revenue with the help of blockkedjeteknik, then all of the intermediaries are removed and the fans and the music makers ends up in direct contact. Blockkedjeteknik means a återintroducering of musikeryrket and that more people can make a living at it.Tonima Afroze Photo: Anette Nantell
– at the same time as I am working as a software developer at Klarna, I'm doing research on bias in machine learning, the artificial intelligence is based on. We humans have a critical thinking that we apply to much in our daily lives and things we are familiar with. Despite the fact that we often think of the algorithms, which are everywhere, are neutral. In my research I go into more detail on why they are not always neutral and the prejudices that may exist around them.
– the Algorithms control, for example, which search results and news articles displayed for us on the internet. It can be from the job we are recommended in different jobbhemsidor to which potential partners who are presented to us in dejtingappar. Algorithms are everywhere, and they may have biases just like people have. Mainly because it is the people who design the algorithms.
" I'm looking at how we can avoid the injustice which could arise because of these ”biased algorithms” and how we can correct them. For example, consider what it would mean if there were biases in the algorithms that govern mortgages, which punishment that is awarded when someone committed a crime or what treatment we receive at the hospital? Such examples are, unfortunately, already in the justice system in the united states.
" In machine learning, we give the algorithm access to lots of information with the aim to learn the underlying data and then make their own predictions for new situations. If this data is somehow not representative, so there is a prejudice that we ourselves may not be aware of - and thus not the algorithm. In some cases, the algorithms led to the unfair decision of t.ex. based on the skin color. An example from a few years ago is when the Google-backed AI very unfortunate tagged two black friends as gorillas. A reason for this error is that many of the large image collections that are used to ”train” the AI contains relatively few images of black people.
– There are other similar examples where an under-representation led to the incorrect image results. For example, a search for ”grandmother” almost only pictures of white people. And so look undeniably not everyone's mother - and grandmothers out in the world.
Maria Paavola Photo: Anette Nantell
– As a woman in a male-dominated profession, it can be difficult to make its voice heard and to actually find someone who has similar thoughts as yourself. Teknikkvinnor is an inclusive meeting place for networking, where all kinds of questions are welcome. My experience is that if you yourself are in the majority lowered the threshold for what you dare to ask questions about.
We are also working to help the company to create a more equal and inclusive corporate culture. There is often a gap between what businesses believe that they convey at the workplace, and what women experience in the workplace. Our experience, inter alia, from conversations with our members, in combination with scientifically based methodology, we can be of great help in reducing this gap.
– Mainly needed a discussion where you talk openly about whether or not there is a certain jargon or mood, which makes some feel excluded or uncomfortable at work. It is important to get those who are in the majority, the men, to understand that not everyone has the same conditions as them. And that some topics can be sensitive to bring up when you are in the minority. Instead of dwelling on whose fault things are, we need to understand that diversity and different perspectives for development. A konsensuskultur where all the headers and think the same we will not get anywhere with. Which of course benefits everyone in the long run: If the whole of society are represented in the field of technology it is more likely that the solutions will be more constructive for society.
" Then I will talk about what I work with everyday: self-driven vehicles, and how, with the help of automation can improve the efficiency of transport in our society.