Attempt to give blood plasma from previous coronasmittede person for current patients shows promising results.
It gives hope to the Swedish researchers behind the study, who now goes on to the next phase, write several Swedish media.
- We see that, if you have the virus in the blood, so get rid of the - usually next day, if you get blood plasma with neutralizing antibodies, says Joakim Dillner, professor of infektionsepidemiologi, to Sveriges Radio.
To give blood plasma from people who have been sick and developed antibodies, is a well-established way to combat infectious diseases on the.
- It is tried by other infections - with slightly mixed results, it must be said. It is not a given, that it works. But intuitively it is likely because the antibodies to fight the virus and can be transmitted from human to human. Therefore, we hope to help patients who have problems with to defeat the virus, says Henrik Ullum, who is chief physician and professor in the blood bank at Rigshopitalet, to Ekstra Bladet.
the Study from the Karolinska Institute have so far been in the first and the second phase, which was tested on 25 patients.
Here the purpose was to ensure that the experiments were harmless, and to find out how much blood plasma must be given, when and to whom.
Now go study to the next phase, where at least 100 patients participate. Here is shared the patients in the two groups, where only one gets the collected blood, so the results from the groups can be compared.
It is uncertain when the method finally can be put to use as a therapy. According to Henrik Ullum is it is most likely that it will take a few months before the experiments bear fruit.
- It is impressive. It gives me hope that it could work, and it gives me a pleasure that we have started the work to collect the blood plasma. As we have done in all blood banks in Denmark. It of course requires more data, but it supports our work, says professor Henrik Ullum.
Denmark also made similar attempts.
- But in contrast to Sweden, there has in Denmark been so many patients - it is generally decreased. Therefore, the swedes may have results before us, as they have more patients, says Ullum.
IN the UNITED states have, however, skipped the test phase over.
- IN the UNITED states has used the method as a treatment on a large scale - of course in the absence of other treatment. But it is worrying that one is dealing with something, before you ensure that it works. Therefore we make the attempt, as they do in Sweden, says the chief physician.