Birthe Kjær gets sorted the hair and put on discreet makeup with celebrity-hairdresser, Dennis Knudsen.
The always well-tended Danish top ten legend have a good reason to be extra fine the day before, something of an anniversary today, Saturday 1.september.
Here rounds she namely 70 years and do it with the usual class.
– The 70 sounds so old. But that's how I feel. But I'm glad to be 70, says Birthe Kjær in a somewhat uncomfortable sofa arrangement in the corner of Dennis Knudsen's salon in the heart of Copenhagen.
the Hair is well set, and the smile, as usual, wide and hjertevarmt of the singer, which, together with the round birthday actually also can celebrate the 50-year anniversary as a leading figure in the ease of pop music, where she is never skipped, where the fence was lowest.
Who cared for the details of the celebrity-hairdresser. Photo: Henning Hjorth
Through his career, she has always tried to challenge themselves with music and other tasks, which has broken with the familiar patterns – without losing the taken in the faithful audience, which still decides on the eviggrønne hits such as ’Arrivederci Franz’, ’Summer and sun’, ’Beware of the bright red rubber boat’ and, not least, Grand Prix-winner ’We paint the town red’.
So there should be signed contracts. Photo: Ritzau Scanpix
This summer, it brought her bl.a. for Smukfest in Skanderborg with its playing Feel Good Band, that – to the Birthes happy surprise – got even the notoriously critical Thomas Treo to share the happy out of the stars in Ekstra Bladet.
– he Has not had to hear much of it, ask Birthe Kjær smiling.
I can't imagine.
– I guess I am otherwise not just what he hears most.
But the quality will always be appreciated, and, within its territory, puts no bar higher than the Birthe Kjær.
Birthe Kjær in action at this year's SmukFest got a nice review of Thomas the Treo. Hear what the main character even think about the concert in the news here.
Danish celebrity - 14. aug. 2018 - at. 16:59 Birthe Kjær skamrost: Well I did not know that the Treo was present
Johnny Reimar was fast advancing, with the record contract. Photo: Ritzau Scanpix
It began in earnest in 1968, after Gary had been singing from the age of 12 years in the Sunshine Trio – when Johnny Reimar heard her one night in Aarhus at the La Cabana, where she had a week-long engagement with an Italian orchestra.
– He evidently liked what he heard, and he gave me a record deal. He says so himself, that he never regretted and I have certainly not.
the First single was called ’Arrivederci Franz’, and it went directly into first place on the Dansktoppen that had started three months earlier.
Here assumed Birthe Kjaer-funny enough the first place from its pladechef, Johnny Reimar, who had lain snug and warm in the turn with ’The violets you pick’.
So it went otherwise away for Birthe Kjær. The jobs poured in, and the Danish top ten hits came in a steady stream with her third single, ’Casatschok’ –’we were doing only singles then’ – as the next of many first places on the charts.
Autumn is on the jubilee tour of the major concert houses. Photo: Henning Hjorth
So busy was she and was to have – But after half a year of leave from the savings bank, where she was a student, had the courage to say his up, even though it was officially called out that she had leave of absence for an indefinite time.
She never came back. And now I may have fallen for the age limit, sounds it fresh from the icon.
50 years after, the situation is not much different, and the anniversary will be marked with a big efterårsturné with the 12-man Feel Good Band with 21 concerts in the big musikhuse around the country with start 14. september.
– Large places, it is so wild. I am pleased to say Gary, in agreement with the orchestra then take a break for may, before the new festival season so be consumed.
– ten years ago, when you were 60, you said that you couldn't imagine yourself to be and sing like 70-year-old?
I had not thought. I got my blood clot as 57-year-old, and I doubted that I would be 60. I did so, but I could not imagine myself to be 70. So I thought, I had better get my rate pension paid as a 60-year-old, otherwise I would damn well not enough not to get it all paid. It expires so now, so in future I must to clear me of the old-age pension.
Birthe Kjær won the Melodi Grand Prix with 'We Paint the Town Red'. Photo: Per Helner
– I am not a billionaire, but of course I have enough to be able to live a decent life, if one day I stop. A only requirement is that I continue to be able to sing clean. As Holger Juul Hansen's book is called: ’It must never be poor’. But I think I'm self-reflective enough to even be able to hear it, if it is time to stop.
– Many people wonder, that a nice lady like you has never been married and have children?
– It is not, after all, because I have had boyfriends, I don't really to talk about anymore.
The Little Mermaid on solid ground. Photo: Ritzau Scanpix
– Have you never missed to have children?
– Not true. Maybe when I worked at the orphanage in Thailand during my one-year leave of absence some years back. It is touched by something. But I have all the time been busy with it, I thought was fun career. So I have always postponed it, and then it was just not to anything.
– But I've had a good life, and there is no one who should doubt that it has been good and also lovingly.