the Danish badminton has been hit by matchfixingsag. On Thursday it emerged that the now-retired player Joachim Persson has been sentenced to a quarantine of 18 months for breaking the regulations concerning match-fixing.
In the Badminton Denmark and you take distance from the case, but you feel no responsibility, as it is a long time ago, Persson was a part of the eliteprogrammet.
It tells the team he will play for Jens Meibom.
- On the one hand, it is a pity that it hit an English player, who has previously been a part of the elitetruppen, but at the same time, I have a satisfaction over the fact that BWF has focus on this problem, and being taken care of irregularities.
- It is over five years ago, Joachim Persson was a part of the eliteprogrammet. The current sport management in the Badminton Denmark has been here for two years, so I don't experience, that we have a responsibility in relation to him, says Meibom.
He believes that the federation has shown due diligence in order to inform its players of match-fixing. Thus, associated with in a program called 'play to the line'.
the Consultants from the Center for problem Gambling has informed all national youth teams of the existing rules and about the importance of having a balanced gaming behavior, explains sportschefen.
- And we have been very clear with our seniorelitespillere on the national elitetræningscenter in Bolton and also informed them about the existing rules - both in writing and in a spillermøde.
- They know so clearly that they are not allowed to play money on anything badminton. They can play on the football and handball - but badminton is a 'no go', emphasises Jens Meibom.
He fears not, that some of the current players are going to do something wrong.
- We can never give guarantees, but we have been quite clear with them. My impression is quite clear that they follow the rules. It is our starting point and we hope that there are other, dumber, says Meibom.
- This is a warning for all. You should keep to the rules, if you want to grow its sport. All know the Persson, when he was a part of the Danish setup in many years, so in relation to the Danish players is this a special warning.
Badminton - 21. mar. 2019 - at. 09:06 Former Danish top player sentenced to quarantine