It is not very likely that the american elections will be deferred, although the us president, Donald Trump, on Thursday has raised the question on Twitter about the possible postponement of the forthcoming elections.
It assesses the Niels Bjerre-Poulsen, who is an associate professor in american studies at the University of Southern denmark.
- It is very difficult to get postponed a presidential election in the UNITED states, and it is not the president's decision, when an election is held, he says.
In the us constitution states that presidential elections must be held on the first Tuesday in november.
If the time needs to be changed, it requires a comprehensive change of the law, says Niels Bjerre-Poulsen.
- If you need to change the time of the election, they have to change legislation in both chambers - the House of Representatives and the Senate and then signed by the president. It is comprehensive, he says.
- But it is only the formal. There are also two other dates, which stands in the constitution. Namely, when the new Congress elected at the same election, shall accede to, and when the president is to be inserted. It also requires legislation. So it is incredibly comprehensive, he says.
It is, according to Niels Bjerre-Poulsen is very difficult to get moved more dates, because it requires several amendments to the constitution.
In a message on Twitter Thursday regard Trump the alleged risk of fraud in postal voting as a reason for the choice could be deferred.
- Defer the choice to the people can vote properly, reliably and safely???, he writes.
the President reiterates in its lookup a claim, he many times has argued that postal voting will lead to election fraud.
according to the news agency Reuters and a number of american media has not presented any evidence that the postal voting was supposed to be used for fraud in a significant degree.
According to Niels Bjerre-Poulsen is trying Trump to pave the way for, that if he loses the election, it will be because of electoral fraud.
- He can not change the date of the election. But what he can do, and that he has tried for long, to so mistrust of the whole electoral system.
- Thus, he tries to imply that it is a fraud that will go against him and be the cause of a possible lost election, says Bjerre-Poulsen.
The u.s. presidential election to be held on Tuesday 3. november of this year.