Millions of netizens have won a prize in the competition to have the world's worst passwords. And the prize is a t-shirt with the phrase 'I'm an idiot' printed in big letters on the back.
For one am a digital idiot, if you do as the 23,3 million, which has the password '123456'. Or the nearly eight million who have chosen either ’qwerty’ or ’password’ as their password.
Technology - 29. sep. 2016 - pm. 20:39 After the sms scams: Clean up your digital life before the hackers do it
The british centre for cyber security, NCSC, has just published a list of the 100,000 most commonly used passwords.
the Data is retrieved from a database of over half a billion hacked passwords, which today is gathered on the website haveibeenpwned.com.
- re-use of passwords poses a great risk that can be avoided, says the centre's technical director, Ian Levy, on the list.
- No one can protect private data with passwords that are easy to guess. For example, their first name, the local football team, or favorite bands.
If a password is as simple as the millions of netizens have chosen to do the work of the hackers very easily.
For even in the situations where the attackers don't have tricked the password out of you or hacked it on an insecure website – the criminals use the technology to automatically try them.
Check if you are affected
On the website haveibeenpwned.com you can seek in the billions of usernames, which in recent years has been leaked. Here you can check whether you have been hit by one or more leak. And see if only your username or your password is leaked.
According to Ian Levy of NCSC is the first important reason, that one makes more effort with his password.
But according to a guidance from the Center for Cyber security on the passwords you need more.
Even when users choose a bit more complicated passwords, make the mistakes, which can give hackers access.
For example, to choose to put a capital letter in the password as the first character. And to place figures at the end.
another flaw is that when a password with spaces must be replaced, so only the last numbers, as users change.
This means that hackers can easily guess the right passwords in the cases where they have already been hacked previously, but now the invalid password from you.
in Addition to choosing better passwords, you can also protect your privacy by enabling two-factor verification on the websites that allow it.
And do you find it hard to remember good passwords, you should consider using one of the passwordshuskere, which are on the market for both mobile phones and pc.
Spioncenter: Why do many of the weak passwords
According to the instructions from the Centre for Cyber security, there are several reasons why many user are doing everything for weak passwords. Here is a selection of the things, as the centre believes that users and their employers could do better:
- If the password must be a minimum of eight characters, it is most often only eight characters.
- Should the password contain a capital letter, the uppercase letter is typically placed as the first letter in the password.
- If the password must contain numbers, are these like placed at the end. Number is often between 0 and 99, or a year. It is also common to change letters with numbers that resemble a particular letter, or who is close by to the letter. 'e' becomes fx. to '3', 'o' becomes '0', etc.
- Requirement of special characters, are resolved in many cases by the use of one. Some characters prove to be more popular than others. Snabel-a ('@') and exclamation mark ('!') are some of the more popular.
- Need the password to be changed at regular intervals, there are many users using the cyclic words in the form of words for the seasons, quarters, months, etc.
- Some words or figures are very popular and goes again and again in many passwords. Among the most used passwords are bl.a. '123456', 'password', and bogstavrækker as eg. 'qwerty', which follows the rows on the keyboard.
- the Password is the same as the username or a part of it.
- the Password consists of the names of family, friends, pets, etc.
- In connection with a periodic change of the password shall be composed of a new, which is almost identical with the former.read more Close