As Mads Pedersen last year rejected the Italian Matteo Trentin in the sprint and wrote history by becoming the first male world champion in linjeløb, gave the national coach Anders Lund extra motivation to back to get the rainbow-colored WORLD cup-leotard on the Danish shoulders.
Wednesday was the motivation turned into frustration, as the swiss WORLD cup organizers announced that, as a result of the country's coronarestriktioner can't handle the job and hold the WORLD cup in the end of september.
- the WORLD cup is a huge highlight of the season for me as coach. This is what we in the union are working towards the whole season.
- We knew that a cancellation was a possibility, so it was with some trepidation that we looked forward to this day.
- But we were prepared for it, does not make it less painful, " says Anders Lund.
In The International Cykelunion, the UCI, has announced that it is working - and probably has done it in a while - to find an alternative organiser.
Therefore, the VM can 2020 continue to end up being for nothing - but Anders Lund is not an optimist.
- It is not because I am a worrier, but I believe that it is realistic to say that it looks black.
- Now it is not me who is negotiating with different cities, but you can look around and find that it does not quite going in the right direction out in the world, says Lund.
A total cancellation means that Mads Pedersen can run in regnbuetrøjen a year more. A plaster on the wound, when Anders Lund for all cases, must try to prepare for a second WORLD cup without knowing any details.
- It is totally in the dark now. We do not know whether we are bought or sold, whether we should run, and where it should be.
I reached to see the route in Switzerland before they closed it all down and had a clear expectation that we would come up with a strong team and be among the best, so we could follow up on Mads' victory last year.
- However, when it is said, then we have an elite and a width that is competitive regardless of the route, " says Anders Lund.
Several of his normal duties as ungdomsløbene the Tour de l'avenir and Fredsløbet has been fully cancelled. The same is etapeløbet Around Denmark, while the EM will be without herrerytterne.
- It is difficult working conditions, and highly demotivating. It is not so fun to go to work for the time being, notes the Danish national coach.
See also: Unstoppable star once again showed tremendous form
See also: Official: the WORLD championships in cycling has been cancelled