the city has recently been hit by rising coronasmitte, which has resulted in several restrictions in the municipality.
Anyway stood Aarhus Festival is to begin in two weeks. However, it is now cancelled, informs the municipality on Thursday in a press release.
- We have received a clear recommendation to proceed with a cancellation, and we will of course comply with, says mayor Jacob Bundsgaard (S), who is also president of festugens board of directors.
the Recommendation has come from the health authorities.
- It is the right decision in the current situation, where the epidemic continues to prevail in the city, says the mayor.
Aarhus Festival is one of Northern europe's largest cultural festivals and attracts annually about 500,000 participants over ten days.
It has been several politicians to push for a cancellation, as it takes place, while at the same time coronasmitten spreads in the city. As Ekstra Bladet has described, there has been pressure from the Aarhus city Council as well as the Palace to get dropped for the festivities.
See also: festival week wobbles: - An affront to the vulnerable
on Wednesday, showed the figures for the last seven days was found 364 cases of covid-19 in Aarhus.
the Development has meant that there has been introduced several restrictions - among other things, should be worn mundbind in the public transport.
Something that according to several politicians, not rhyme particularly well at the festival.
From the organizers, however, it has occurred, to the planning of the festival week has taken account of the coronasituationen.
- We have used the year to adapt, listen to the press briefings and adapt again, says Rikke Øxner, director of the Aarhus Festival week, in a message.
- Unfortunately, the developer covid-19-the situation all the time. And in the end it has got a big impact for the festival week.
- We have all the time been aware of the recommendations we have received from the health authorities, and it is, of course, applies also now, saith the.
See also: Aarhus, partying: - Sounds strange
on Monday, there would have been an extraordinary board meeting, where there was taken a decision about the festival.
After the dialogue with the authorities so that Jacob Bundsgaard, however, no reason to wait.
- With the clear recommendation from the health authorities made the decision now rather than wait for the scheduled board meeting on Monday, he says.
Aarhus Festival has been held since 1965. It takes place the last Friday in august and lasts for ten days.