Bjarne Riis should hardly expect to be hailed and celebrated, when cycling the Tour de France in 2021 starts in Denmark.
2021 will otherwise mark the 25th anniversary of Riis' Tour de france triumph. But the victory in 1996 took place with the doping in the body, admitted Riis, many years later.
Thursday was the Tour director Christian Prudhomme in Copenhagen, where he, along with, among others, the Danish prime minister, Lars Løkke Rasmussen (V) presented the Danish Tour-plans.
Riis and 2021, says Prudhomme:
- I'm not here to create controversy. I want to look forward. The reason why we are here, is that Denmark is so good to hverdagscykling and because of the general passion for cycling in Denmark.
- It is important for us. Denmark has so much to offer, and we are sure that it will be a well-organized start to the Tour de France.
- We in the ASO (the Tour organizer, red.) don't want to go into old things and create controversy.
- The, I could possibly say about Bjarne Riis, has no importance for we are looking forward to the Tour de France-start in Copenhagen and Denmark.
Loop's raining nor that the Tour will celebrate Riis' victory, which still stands in the history books. Loop believe, however, that one should "forget anyone", as he puts it.
- I hope in all ways that Bjarne Riis will enjoy it here. I'm quite sure that he will be there and enjoy it, says the Loop, and adds:
- I think that one must acknowledge all who have made a great effort in the story.
Riis is in the day team owner for herreholdet Team Waoo, running on kontinentalniveau (third level, red.), and kvindeholdet Team Virtu Cycling Women. The latter teams are on the World Tour, the highest level.
What do we know about the Tour de France Grand Départ in Denmark
- the Whole of the Tour de France and the field come to Denmark to run the first three stages in the summer of 2021.
- Start in Denmark has been given the slogan "The greatest cycling race in the world meets the best cycling city in the world".
- 900.000 spectators are expected to attend the three stages in Denmark.
- the Budget for the Danish Grand Départ is set to 88 million dollars.
- Tour de France transmiteres in 190 countries and has roughly 3.5 billion tv viewers during the race the world over.
- the Day after the third stage will be held the day of rest, and the teams fly to France.
Cycling - 21. feb. 2019 - at. 11:59 Denmark writes Tour-history