It was already in 2015 as the SMHI, the Swedish meteorological and hydrological institute, released a specific report on the framtidsklimatet in the county of Jämtland.
During the ongoing alpine world ski CHAMPIONSHIPS in Åre, and the face of the biathlon world CUP in Östersund, sweden, this report is more current than ever. Not least in Åre, where the world CUP-the weather in just a little over a week has gone from minus twenty degrees to rain and sleet.
the women's giant slalom – if the contest be decided in the plus four degrees.
– Unfortunately, they have this so-called varmluftsinbrotten, as will a couple of times each winter, become everyday life for us, " says Ulf von Sydow, hållbarhetsinspiratör for biathlon-world CUP, living in Åre.
" It has absolutely changed in the twelve years that I've lived here. There is a marked difference and of course it is not good for the sport or for the hospitality industry.From minus 20 to plus degrees. The weather has shifted quickly during the alpine world CHAMPIONSHIPS in Åre. Arkivbild. Photo: Jason DeCrow/AP
goes through everything from snow cover days, to the so-called vegetationsperioder, variations in temperature and precipitation on the basis of two different scenarios up to the end of the century.
Simply stated, " says Ulf von Sydow, it looks like this:
and with a warmer climate will vinternederbörden to a certain extent to come as the rain, as consistently snow.
as climate change is losing the region of 1-2 of snow cover days per year. On a twenty-year period means a month fewer ski days.
– the ski season will become shorter and shorter, " says von Sydow.
– It plays a major role, because the hospitality industry in the county has a turnover of five billion sek per year.
speaking of how framtidsklimatet will affect both the tourism industry as american vinteridrott:
You go up to get white snow but are greeted by sleet and ice.
– If you take the years of example, it is in the similitude of a ”winter wonderland”. You go up to get white snow but are greeted by sleet and ice.
" If it is not in the circumstances, the man on the street losing a little bit of interest in skiing. The interest for Vasaloppet is, for example, in the top when it is good the winters in southern Sweden. We get bad winters, we lost interest, and then we lose also the width in the sport.
Sara Hector is she in Åre.
– It is jättesorgligt to hear about such things, " she says.
" But it is also important that it also be heard. If you don't know if such a development makes of course no difference, when one thinks that one can continue as they always have done.Swedish storslalomåkaren Sara Hector lives in Åre and is concerned over the development. ”Jättesorgligt to hear.” Photo: Pontus Lundahl/TT
the DN has previously written about the alpine team's stated climate goals and climate change.
at Home-the world CUP goes in sustainability characters with electric cars and, for example, solar cells on arenabyggnaderna. The national team, in itself, purchase carbon offsets for their travel and send climate-smart recipes to their hotels.
for four times more carbon dioxide than an average american. Now the emissions must be halved by 2022, and in the year have been reduced by 25 per cent.
– not All countries have even this on its agenda. Some don't understand what we're talking about, " says alpinchefen Tommy Eliasson Winter.
– But if one takes a position it is very much easier for others to follow.
If one takes a position it is very much easier for others to follow.
" That's not easy when you are very bad at something to stand up and say how bad it is. But the more that do it, the easier it is to get to a change.
flanger the length and breadth of the world to look for the best träningsförhållandena. The journeys are many, also during the season, and quantities of equipment to be transported between resorts.
"So it is, but you have to always begin the job where you are," says Eliasson Winter and Sara Hector is filling in:
– It is important that you do something. For it does actually matter. You may think that it only plays a small role, but do you do something put it an example and a ”mindset” – that can spread.
see landslagsledningen of the arrangement for the försäsongsresor and camps. Just to reduce emissions.
"Only that we have received to the discussion, I think, is something that never has happened in the past," says Eliasson Winter.
" We're a sport that's dependent on the ski industry. It is our most important factor, because the skiing is not primarily a sport but a family affair and a friluftstillvaro.
– at the same time, it is the whole base for our recruitment. Disappear, cross-country skiing as a hobby, it would be a complete disaster.the Future of skidskyttetävlingar in Östersund? Climate change threatens Swedish ski resorts. The image is from the world cup in German Ruhpolding, 2014. Photo: Matthias Schrader/AP
have worked on climate change issues – and also skidskyttet will have a large hållbarhetsfokus during his home world CUP.
In Östersund, sweden in march using the organization only vehicles powered by renewable fuels, and, in addition, are arranged, inter alia, a seminar with the IBU (International biathlon union) and the IOC (International olympic committee) in order to affect the world's major sporting bodies.
"We want to show that it is possible to make an approach to sustainability," says Ulf von Sydow and notes just like Eliasson Winter to the sport's biggest challenges is the number of trips.
– you Can add a structure that does not involve such a wandering that in the day there would of course be better. At the same time, we are aware that the entire economy of the skidskyttet is based on the world cup moves from place to place.
– It is a long process, because the sport is hugely conservative. It is an elephant to move on, " says von Sydow.
– Alpine national team has a program to reduce their emissions and it is the same discussion going on in the skidskyttet. The active is fully aware of this, but they are a little stuck in a leghold trap.
the melting of Glaciers – national ski team will send climate-smart recipes to their hotels.
the world CUP-hill torn: ”A sea of powdered sugar”
the Plan for the world CUP-the hill: ”More water and salt.”
Skidorters needs of snow collide with natural values (from 2016)
the Alpine world ski CHAMPIONSHIPS in Åre 2019 – everything you need to know