Russia's president, Vladimir Putin, has on Monday officially signed a decree, which means that Russia will suspend its participation in the INF-våbenaftalen. It informs the regime in the Kremlin.
Russia announced already in February that it intended to suspend the agreement. It came to pass, after the us authorities 1. February announced that they would pull the UNITED states out of the historic agreement.
the Americans believe that Russia has violated the agreement. It rejects Russia, which, in turn, accuses the UNITED states of having violated the. It rejects the UNITED states.
The us president, the Donald Trumps announcement was in February, that the UNITED states would put in motion a process to withdraw in the course of six months.
And it got quickly president Putin to respond again.
the INF agreement was signed in 1987.
It prohibits any establishment of mellemdistancemissiler in the country, which has a range of between 500 and 5500 kilometers.
the Agreement is considered as a cornerstone in the two supermagters disarmament.
It was signed by the then leaders of the UNITED states and the Soviet union - Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev.
the UNITED states and Russia's suspension of the agreement have raised fears of a new arms race between the two countries.
the FACTS: INF-våbenaftale prohibits mellemdistancemissiler
The Russian president, Vladimir Putin, put Monday his signature on a decree, which means that Russia officially suspended its participation in the historic INF-våbenaftale from 1987. INF stands for Intermediate Range Nuclear Forces Treaty.
the Decision comes as no big surprise, since the russians are already in February announced that they would suspend the agreement.
It happened as a result of a similar announcement from the UNITED states.
below you can learn about the INF treaty:
* It was made 8. december 1987, after long negotiations.
* the Treaty was a result of the negotiations between the UNITED states and the Soviet union, which at the time was led by, respectively, Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev.
* the Agreement prohibits any establishment of rescue force
* It was the first agreement that removed a whole våbenklasse from the superpowers arsenals.
* AMERICA's rockets were placed in different places in Western europe, including west Germany, Italy and the united kingdom.
* The Russian mellemdistancemissiler was set in Eastern europe in the Soviet union. Thus it was feared that any confrontation would go out over Europe.
* Both the nuclear and conventional ballistic missiles and cruise missiles with a range between 500 and 5500 kilometers was destroyed.
* the UNITED states destroyed about 850 of the missiles of the types Pershing 1b, the Pershing 2 and BGM-109 Tomahawk.
* the Soviet union destroyed about 1850 missiles of the type SS-4, SS-5, SS-12, SS-23, SS-20 and SSC-X-4.
* When the agreement was signed, it was a minority of countries, which were in the possession of these rescue force
* the Treaty has put a damper on the end of the cold war.
* today, ten countries such missilarsenaler. It applies, among others, China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Israel. But none of them are subject to the INF treaty.
* Since 2014, the UNITED states has publicly questioned the Russian compliance with the treaty.
* the Nato also has expressed concerns over Russia's actions.
* In February announced both the UNITED states and Russia, that they would suspend their participation in the treaty.
Sources: the Ministry of foreign affairs, the Washington Post and the New York Times.read more Close