MELBOURNE (Ekstra Bladet): Caroline Wozniacki was full of respect above the level, her belgian opponent Alison van Uytvanck, showed off, when she challenged the defending champion on Rod Laver Arena.
And it was clearly not quite a kampbillede she had imagined.
- We had many, very long duels and long parties. I thought that she might at some point would go down a bit in level, but I felt that she kept it constant all the way through.
- It was generally a good match, and I was surprised by her stability. I was surprised that it was really long rallies, and that she could keep it to an extremely high level.
We both came in and tried to push the other. I felt that I played well from the start, she said, and highlighted the following key to the victory:
- I think, I spill well, when I had to. I had broken her, and so it was just to keep the serv. But she was dangerous to the last, where she began to hit the lines and corners. So it was not easy to return.
- I am glad that I could raise my level and win the battle, for it was certainly not easy, it sounded respectful from Caroline Wozniacki.
She had predicted that she would have a lot of nerves out to the first battle, but they had not been so urgent, she said. She had also not had problems with her stomach, when she had to serve.
In the interview on the pitch after the match, she appeared quite emotional about his comeback on the runway, where she was a year ago raised the cup.
- It is pretty special to be out there again. It is a little different than any other tournament, I have won. But it's mostly just the joy of being allowed to play out there again.
In the next round she meets Swedish Johanna Larsson.
Tennis - 14. jan. 2019 - at. 10:55 Mesterhak! Caroline opened title defense with a nice win
Tennis - 14. jan. 2019 - at. 11:38 Piotr shocked by the heat level: This gives the wings